Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle problem HPtuners help

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 11:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle problem HPtuners help

So I just installed my G5X3 and I've been trying to work with my idle. can anyone give me some hints on how to tweak this thing to idle.. it's an 2000 A4 yank PT4000 all boltons but ASP underdrive pulley. help would be much appreciated. thanks
Old 08-02-2004, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am about to tune my car after I get my trex, pulleys, and lsx 90mm installed. So far I have found this on www.ls1tuning.com. If anyone has anything else to add please feel free, this is my frist tune as well

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some things you can try.

Idle Limiters --> Idle Speed: 950

Idle Limiters --> IAC Park Position: Raise all points from 40C and up to 21

Idle Limiters --> Idle Air In Gear: All points 60C and up to 8.6

Fuel --> Main VE Table: Multiply column 400 rpm by 60. Multiply column 800 by 80. Multiply column 1200 by 90.

Ignition --> High Octane Table: Add 2 deg to all points 400 to 1000 RPM, .08 to .32 g/sec

Once done with this program, start the car and check for surging. If the car surges, unplug the IAC and see if the surging stops. If the surging stops follow below.

Idle Limiters --> Idle Air in Gear --> All points above 60C to 9.2

Take the car for a drive and check your idle. If the car goes on cruise control reduce the Idle Air in Gear Table .2 (further if necessary). If the idle holds at 2000 RPM for extended periods of time reduce the P/N Airflow Decay table for all points above 10 MPH by 5% (multiply by 95) until this stops. Be vary careful on this table.

If car keeps surging with the IAC unplugged two more things to try.

Multiply Main VE table by another 95% (total reduction of 85%). Repeat until the surging goes away, or until the car begins to hesitate when you take off.

High Octane Ignition Table. Reduce timing for all points 400 to 1000 RPM, .08 to .32 g/sec by 2. Repeat, but don't reduce it any more than 6 degrees.

If your car still doesn't idle after this, then you have other problems, and should start looking elsewhere.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 08-03-2004, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WS64u2try
So I just installed my G5X3 and I've been trying to work with my idle. can anyone give me some hints on how to tweak this thing to idle.. it's an 2000 A4 yank PT4000 all boltons but ASP underdrive pulley. help would be much appreciated. thanks
I have a 3800 stall and a big 232/236 .600 lift cam and I got my idle tuned pretty good. I only get surging when I go from load to no load because I have not done the idle relearn. email me n I will email you my idle setup on a spreadsheet.

cscollis@swbell.net
Old 08-03-2004, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

I do not recommend the Idle Park position change at all. I did it, and I would get a lean knock at startup. I removed the change and it stopped.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Same cam here G5X-3..anybody with an 01 A4 have this cam that would be willing to send over some screenshots or spreadsheets?
Old 08-03-2004, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Did you do all the other steps except the idle park position?

I am still new to tuning, like I said I got that from ls1tuning.com
Old 08-04-2004, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm assuming you already adjusted the throttlebody screw or drilled the hole bigger. That's the first step imo.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've got my IAC down to about 45 with the A/C off in park. the go up to about 100 with the A/C on. I think I can still do a little more adjusting to get them a little lower. I think they are supposed to be between 25-30 at idle in park with the A/C off and around 70 in park with the A/C on ....somebody please let me know if I am off with my numbers.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Did you do all the other steps except the idle park position?

I am still new to tuning, like I said I got that from ls1tuning.com
Uhm...I mostly did them. My VE table is way beyond where you should go for starters...you may want to just try what they said.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

I know this is a dumb question, but how can I tell in hptuners if i am running lean/rich after I edit that?
Old 08-10-2004, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Fuel --> Main VE Table: Multiply column 400 rpm by 60. Multiply column 800 by 80. Multiply column 1200 by 90.
This is a typo.... right?

60, 80, and 90 are supposed to be PERCENTAGES, right? So we're multiplying by 0.6, 0.8, and 0.9.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by marc_w

60, 80, and 90 are supposed to be PERCENTAGES, right? So we're multiplying by 0.6, 0.8, and 0.9.

CORRECT, It needs to be a percentage.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

I was wondering the same my self. I posted it exactly how it was listed on ls1tuning.com
Old 08-13-2004, 04:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

So we would multiply it by .6? giving 60% of the old value
Old 08-13-2004, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Okay, that's what I thought. That's what I've been doing with my lower VE table, with mediocre results.

I can tune it so that I get no lope, but then the transition from the tuned, to untuned area confuses things, and I either get surging, or I get a VERY poor idle.

I have a drive by wire TB, so drilling and set screws are not an option for me. (Well, maybe I COULD drill?).

My IAC's with the small cam here are in the 130's in drive, about 70 in park. I'm pretty much ignoring them for now... until I find a sure-fire way to tune them back to normal.

I found that the IAC park position is basically the position that the throttle blade goes to for your next restart. It's like the computer is holding it's foot on the throttle for you. I left mine stock.

Has anyone messed with the "Idle Airflow vs ECT" table? I've done a few tweaks, and they didn't really do what I expected. I was figuring this was telling the computer to let more air in at my now slightly higher idle speed... but instead, I get more of a cruise control effect.

Another thing that bothers me is that my DFCO no longer works. I don't know why.

Now that I'm looking into some of the tables that have to do with throttle position - I'm not sure how some of this stuff EVER worked. I have a my base spark table set to turn on at 1.7%. DFCO to enable under like, 2% in the lower rpm ranges.

Idling, I never see my TPS drop below 8%. Driving is the same, maybe a few percent higher.

??
Old 08-23-2004, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, that's what I thought. That's what I've been doing with my lower VE table, with mediocre results.

I can tune it so that I get no lope, but then the transition from the tuned, to untuned area confuses things, and I either get surging, or I get a VERY poor idle.

I have a drive by wire TB, so drilling and set screws are not an option for me. (Well, maybe I COULD drill?).

My IAC's with the small cam here are in the 130's in drive, about 70 in park. I'm pretty much ignoring them for now... until I find a sure-fire way to tune them back to normal.

I found that the IAC park position is basically the position that the throttle blade goes to for your next restart. It's like the computer is holding it's foot on the throttle for you. I left mine stock.

Has anyone messed with the "Idle Airflow vs ECT" table? I've done a few tweaks, and they didn't really do what I expected. I was figuring this was telling the computer to let more air in at my now slightly higher idle speed... but instead, I get more of a cruise control effect.

Another thing that bothers me is that my DFCO no longer works. I don't know why.

Now that I'm looking into some of the tables that have to do with throttle position - I'm not sure how some of this stuff EVER worked. I have a my base spark table set to turn on at 1.7%. DFCO to enable under like, 2% in the lower rpm ranges.

Idling, I never see my TPS drop below 8%. Driving is the same, maybe a few percent higher.

??

Did you use the idle setscrew procedure or the Drilling procedure...It sounds like you usded the idle setscrew procedure and went too far...The TPS does have a threshold of how far it can be opened before it will no longer reset itself to 0, as outlined in the setcrew procedure.

Quick Reply: Idle problem HPtuners help