Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car is acting up! Need help quick! please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Car is acting up! Need help quick! please!

Well sorry this is so long.. but if someone can help me! i owe ya one!

Well my car has been acting really weird lately.... it has been shaking at idle and pretty much stalling when i would come up to a stop sign.. so i went and got the codes at autozone.. i had a random cylinder misfire.. air fuel mixture problem.. and Bank 1 and Bank 2 O2 sensors were bad.. I bought 2 brand new O2 sensors because i figure it was messing with my PCM.. It took care of most of my problem.. my car doesn't shake liek it was and doesn't even get close to stalling... But i changed my spark plugs at the same time because of the misfire.. and i am using my MSD plug wires.. and 1 of them wouldn't go on really tight.. so i put it on for the time being.. then at wide open throttle my car started popping and sortta bogging from like 3-5000 Rpms.. then once it hit about 5500-6000 just before the shift it would bump up really quick and go away.. so i put my stock plug wire on the loose wire and it still does it.. I am not getting any codes either.. Is it possible my plug wires are bad? they had a little corrosion on them when i put them on.. but i'm not sure.. i'm really confused.. it could either be my O2's, plug wires, or maybe my MAF or something to do with air/fuel mixture? My plugs are all gapped at about .55 and are NGK TR55's.. My O2 sensors are tightened all the way down too.. so its not leaking there.. but i do only have 1 bolt in my check air valve on the passenger side header.. and its not dead center over that hole.. but its not leaking from that.. its coming from the drivers side really bad.. If anyone could please help me figure out where this loud popping and bogging is coming from i'd appreciate it so much!
Old 08-05-2004, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could have broken the wire while trying to put it on. Try another wire and see if that helps. Otherwise you may have a bad coil.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well i put my stock plug on that bad wire... i think i did break it... but it still does it.. Do you think with my O2's being really messed up could ruin my coil pack? Or just my wire being bad and misfiring ruin my coil pack? Any other ideas? it just seems to do it at WOT from about 3000-5000 RPMS then it sortta goes away towards the top RPMS by the stock shift point.. Thanks for the input technical.. i appreciate it! any other ideas will be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-06-2004, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

check your injecters for clogging or stuck open install gauge and see if pressure holds
this is most likely your problem also check your fuel pressure regulator for leaking
last unplug your maff sensor and see if it goes away.your maff may be coated with oil from say a k&n filter or other style filter oil i see coated maffs causing this once in a while at the dealership
Old 08-06-2004, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well i did have a loose plug wire on when i put my new NGK TR55 plugs in.. do you think the wire came loose and gas was running over the plug without it sparking and sortta fouled it out? If that wouldn't cause it.. I'll check my fuel pressure regulator and fuel injectors.. The car only has 43,000 on it though... does that really matter? And will the car run with my MAF sensor unplugged? I do have a K&N and thats a possibility! Thanks a lot!

Originally Posted by bad0211secws6
check your injecters for clogging or stuck open install gauge and see if pressure holds
this is most likely your problem also check your fuel pressure regulator for leaking
last unplug your maff sensor and see if it goes away.your maff may be coated with oil from say a k&n filter or other style filter oil i see coated maffs causing this once in a while at the dealership
Old 08-06-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

yes it will run off map sensor values. but it will set a maff code. you will have to erase with a scan tool.if your maff is coated you can clean it with carb cleaner and dry it with compressed air from a distance though so u dont hurt the maff.and i dont think the wire was the problem because a vibration that bad would be by a miss fire of more than one cylinder. and i see a lot of clogged injecters with less than 30,000 mi
if your injecters are clogged u can have them pressure cleaned at a dealership while they are still on the car.the service usually runs around a 100 dollars but includes intake and injecter cleaning with a fuel tank supplemant

i notice u live in flushing i work at joseph chevrolet in millington if u want me to look at it ill do an hour worth of diag for free just let me know i can usually diag this type of problem within an hour.

Last edited by bad0211secws6; 08-06-2004 at 08:46 PM. Reason: ?
Old 08-07-2004, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea i can try checking the MAF, and checking a few more things out and if i don't get any codes or find any other way to fix it.. i'll get a hold of ya and i'll run out there on one of my days off! I really appreciate the offer.. i'll let ya know sometime soon! Thanks!
Old 08-08-2004, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok just let me know