Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What weight oil do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 06:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What weight oil do you use?

What weight gear oil do you use with your 12-bolt?? I have 80W90 right now and wondering if a heavier weight would be better with noise, etc.....
Old 08-21-2004, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

80/90 is the right oil to use.

Bruce
Old 08-21-2004, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hardtop
80/90 is the right oil to use.

Bruce
correct it is the recommended oil but I'm just curious to see whatelse people are running. I know that there are a few individuals that are using 85w140 gear oil and having good luck with noise issues, etc. My rear seems to spew out half its oil after a few high rpm runs through 4th. Of course the rear then gets noisy. Why the rear seems to be pressurizing is beyond me. Of course the rear will spit out some oil but mine seems to do it excessively. Yes, I am filling it correctly - using the oil plug on the side of the pumpkin and in the center, not the top cover plug.

Was going to fab up a little catch can that will allow the oil to drain back in the pumpkin but would rather not go thru the hassle. The rear has done this when I first got it and is still doing it after I had a local "professional" go thru and rebuild the rear with new gears and bearings, etc... The whine is gone now because I'm using a harder gear but the pressurizing issue is still there.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Orange,
FWIW, I just changed the factory rear end fluid in my 02 Z with Coastal 85W-140. I drove it afterwards for about 10 miles and the rear seemed to be working pretty smooth. I really can't tell if there is a difference between the factory fluid and the Coastal one. No noise, rattles or otherwise abnormal sounds. So far so good!

Also, I replaced the Amsoil universal ATF in my M6 tranny with Pennzoil Synchromesh. As with the rear end fluid, everything seems to be working the same as before.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:04 PM
Launching!

Z,
Thanks for the info. ABout a week ago I changed my rear fluid from Lucas 80/90 to Lucas 85/140 just like you. It's way quiter than it was before and has less tendency to spew out the breather. Such a easy fix for all my Moser annoyances.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use strait 140wt in just about everything except the front end differentials of four-wheel-drives, that is the normal 90wt. I myself dont like using a multivis in a differential and for the most part, I use parafin based oils with suspended moly.

I have even been known to use a strait ISO9000 350wt in chassis' that stand on the ragged edge or driven in desert elevations.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Hmm, I'm wondering if maybe I should switch over to the thicker oil. Might quiet some of the whining. It should also offer a bit more "cushion" for the gears when subject to the driveline shock from clutch dumps.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
Hmm, I'm wondering if maybe I should switch over to the thicker oil. Might quiet some of the whining. It should also offer a bit more "cushion" for the gears when subject to the driveline shock from clutch dumps.
I say go ahead and do it. It's cheap and the only thing that could happen is that you solve the whinning prblem.