Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zero oil pressure after oil pan install

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Zero oil pressure after oil pan install

I just did a swap on the front of the car after my girlfriend ran over a cement block in the road. After oil pan, K-member, upper and lower control arms and lowering springs were all completed I tried to start the car. Well it ran for ~2-3 seconds but never had oil pressure. The RPM was pretty consistant the whole time, only slightly dropping at the end and had a tapping noise from the engine, telling me that this is not likely a sending unit issue and there is a real problem with pressure here. I haven't dropped the pan or looked at the pickup tube to see if it is in place.

I have done many searches on here and not found anything similar. From that I have learned many things but I am still not confident enough to start it again yet:
Loosened the oil filter and found that there was oil in the filter (didn't fill myself, just lube the o-ring and overflow that got into the filter)
Didn't hear a sound with a rubber mallet and tapped on the oil pan to see if I can hear the pickup tube loose
Need some assistance/ideas on what this could be. Is the pickup too far/close to the pan? How do I measure that? Is the next step to crank it and look in the filler hole to see if there is oil up there? What fuses need to be disconnected to make sure it won't start?

Am I just being too paranoid here?

Thanks
Old 08-21-2004, 04:56 PM
FormerVendor

Maybe when she ran over the cemet block she pickup tube may have broken off but hasnt fallen into the pan
Old 08-21-2004, 11:27 PM

Guess I should give a little more information...first, I know that right after the accident I know the car was OK. When I got to her house just after it happened there was only a 5 in. diameter puddle of oil under the car, she had driven it home. The reason she drove home is because a tow truck driver stopped to help her out and it was barely dripping and it was only 1/2 mile to her place so he said to drive it there. At the time I started it after checking the oil level and it was fine. Also instead of a tow, I refilled it with oil that I knew I was going to leak out and drove it to my place. I never had a problem the whole time, only used a half quart of oil and the pressure never dropped.

When I did get under there, it was a hairline crack in the pan, and the pickup tube was still on there (have pictures during work I checked to verify that). The only time it could have been damaged was when I put the pan back on but I am not sure about that...I put it on straight and didn't hear any metal clunking. I think it's a positive sign that oil is making it to the filter, do I just need to crank it longer since it sat for 2 months?
Old 08-22-2004, 01:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

make sure the o-ring on the pickup tube isnt pinched or anything, and personally i would let it go for a few more seconds