Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

On the Strange 12 bolts, do the axles have to be pulled to change the studs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 12:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On the Strange 12 bolts, do the axles have to be pulled to change the studs?

I know on the factory 10 bolts that its a must, just curious as to whether it has to be done on the Strange 12 bolts. Also, on the 10 bolts, all that needed to be done was take a small long bolt out, slide out this plate, push the axles in a little and pull out the c-clips and the axles would come out. Since the Strange 12 bolts dont use c-clips, how are the held in?
Old 09-03-2004, 12:32 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Axles are held in with the brake backing plates. The same plate that will be in the way when trying to press the studs in/out of the axle flange. Easiest thing I've seen is to drill about a 3/4" hole in the backing plate so the stud can go thru it.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just did this a week or so ago.

Stock length studs can be changed by pulling the axle. The backing plate barely has enough movement once the axle has been removed to get the new stud in place.

Of course, if you have any other questions, PM or email me.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:44 PM
Banned

Ok, so the axles must be pulled on the Strange 12 bolts to replace the studs and the backing plate is attached to the axles and they must be taken off as well? I thought the backing plates were pressed on to the axles vs bolted on as on the 10 bolt? How do the axles come out if they dont use c-clips as the factory rears do?

By the way, on the Strange 12 bolts, the studs are threaded in vs. pressed in.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:08 AM
Launching!

I am doing this as wee speek it is easy just unbolt the 4 screws that hold the backing plate on and remove the axle. The is a round depresion in the backing plate drill a pilot hole from front to bace to find center then use a 1" hole saw and drill from the bact to front and there you go you can change stude from metric to standerd withe out removing ever again .
Old 09-04-2004, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by whatarush
Ok, so the axles must be pulled on the Strange 12 bolts to replace the studs and the backing plate is attached to the axles and they must be taken off as well?
The backing plate comes off with the axle, they are behind the presses on bearing. They will move (tetter) enough to get the old stud out, and the new one in.