Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80 question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 12:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4L80 question...

Is anybody putting 800+ hp through one of these reliably (meaning not rebuilding every 6 mo) I'm contemplating a TH400 but if the 4l80 is similar, why not get one built up...

Thanks!

-rob-
Old 09-05-2004, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 4L80-E is identical internally to a TH400 for the first three gears. The 4L80-E has an additional planetary unit with its own clutches and roller clutch. It's separate from the rest of the trans. This is only difference in the power-transferring hardware. Also, the torque-handling components of it are all steel, like the rest of the trans. The same overdrive assembly is used in the HD version of the 4L80-E as well as the 4L85-E.

The weakness of the overdrive is that you cannot get exotic clutches for it. For this reason it cannot handle a WOT 3-4 shift under more than 600 ft/lbs. torque, even at maximum line pressure. The hard parts can handle it with no problem, it's the clutches where the weakness is. For the Forward, Intermediate, and Direct clutches (1,2,3) there are all kinds of performance materials available. Those clutches can hold just as much as a TH400 since they are the very same.

Besides, you can actually have your stock PCM shift the 4L80-E instead of having to do it yourself. If that sounds boring a TCI transmission controller can shift it automatically or switch to manual mode on the fly for use with shift paddles.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback James! So would could the same thing be said about the gear vendors add-on overdrive for the TH400? Does anyone know what the max torque is for that piece?
Old 09-05-2004, 11:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Get a hold of Chad (burbanman) He's been running the **** out of his and he is very happy with it.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:28 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i love my 4l80e, it i am probably at ~700fwhp right now. it lasted awhile at that hp in mostly stock form but finialy let go(3rd gear cluth pack i was told). i think the failure was converter related and the stock tranny could have lasted longer.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02BlueFirehawk
So would could the same thing be said about the gear vendors add-on overdrive for the TH400? Does anyone know what the max torque is for that piece?
The Gear Vendors OD is capable of 1200HP out of the box and available supporting 2000HP with some line pressure calibration. It can be shifted at full throttle. It's shifts very firmly, at full throttle in any gear it will bark the tires and nearly bounce the rear end into the air.

As far as Gear Vendors OD vs. 4L80-E OD there's no comparisson - the Gear Vendors is a magnitude more capable of shifting the power.

You can have both, it would just be a lot tighter in an F-Body than what I've got!
Old 09-06-2004, 12:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
Get a hold of Chad (burbanman) He's been running the **** out of his and he is very happy with it.
Yup, the intructions that came with the trans said something like ... these transmissions are just getting comfortable at 1000HP ... I was like "Damn!!!"
Old 09-06-2004, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My main hesitation is the 400 has been proven, I dont hear of a lot of 4l80e running 9's or less... and my long term goals are to have a nice truck and trailer so long distance driving isn't a big concern.... and if I'm desperate for a 4th gear I could always get a gv added on later... hmmmmm... but then again... can the 4l80 be made to shift manually? Do companies like B&M even make a 4 gear shifter? mmmm... time to research some more... damn it.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:42 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you can get a full manual 4l80e. i think the main reason you dont see them running 9's is the people that want to run 9's are usualy not too concerend with driveability so they dont need OD.

you will see this 4800lb truck run 9's(with a FLP built 4l80e). give me another year
Old 09-06-2004, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by parish8
you can get a full manual 4l80e. i think the main reason you dont see them running 9's is the people that want to run 9's are usualy not too concerend with driveability so they dont need OD.

you will see this 4800lb truck run 9's(with a FLP built 4l80e). give me another year

Ditto that!!! might not be this season, but by next year, 9's with the AC still in the car and overdrive in the trans. I am not quite as heavy as Parish(my car weighs 3575) but like him, if i can drive the car on the street and enjoy it, then there is no since in having it...............
Old 09-06-2004, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think there is a very important point to mention here that hasn't really been discussed. We've talked about keeping these things streetable and expecting double-duty from them. The 4L80-E is absuolutely the transmission of choice for this.

The 4L80-E provides the advantage of being completely programmable. I'm talking about exactly when you want shifts at part throttle taking place based on throttle position and speed, and also the line pressure based on TPS. These things can be set up to provide silky-smooth stock-like shift characteristics at low throttle even with a moderately calibrated shift kit and exotic clutches installed. At the same time they can pin you to the seat with WOT shifts so fast the front end gets light. In my opinion the best way to use this trans is to let the PCM or trans controller run it exactly according to the way you want it. The 4L80-E responds so well to "tuning" I think it would be a waste to convert any of the electrical functions to manual. Also, TH400's don't have locking converters unless you buy into expensive aftermarket technology to do so. With the 80 you can program which gears to lock it up in, what speed, WOT yes or no, and how hard. Beat that. The 4L80/85-E is more awesome than mere words can really do it justice. I seriously love mine, and I built it myself.

I'm running a stock 13" converter than only stalls at a dismal 1900RPM.

Here's a link to a thread with a recent video.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedia-exchange/213007-video-taken-inside-0-80-weekend.html

Hopefully that gives you an idea of how precisely they can be managed. I'd like to hear comments on that thread!

Quick Reply: 4L80 question...