Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will it leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default will it leak

well, i have (literally) everything i need to put my motor back in my car minus the crank pulley.. i wanted to go ahead and physically put the motor back in while i am off of work and can get a helping hand..problem is i have read not to reinstall the front cover before you put the pulley on??? Is this the truth or just a safe precaution? i would like to just reinstall it as its the only thing not on the longblock..any help? i would rather put it on on the engine stand rather than put it on in the car, i know it wouldnt be too hard but might as well wait if thats what has to be done.
matt
Old 09-06-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Veteran

You can't put the cover on after the pulley anyway. Pulley goes though the cover

If you have the alignment tools, you can put it on for good. If not, put it on loosely and tighten up the cover bolts once the pulley is installed and centers up the cover.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

?????
First you install a new front cover seal (on the cover)>>Cover on motor (hand tight bolts)>>then the pulley>> finish torking cover bolts.

http://www.ls1howto.com
Old 09-06-2004, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think i miss-worded my post..my questiion was could i Torque the bolts down to spec all the way before the pulley went on.. I was wondering if i did that and later installed the pyulley with the cover already tightened if it would leak.. i was just asking because it would be whole lot easier to torque the cover bolts down while it was on the stand rather than in the car..not a big deal just asking, think ill go ahead and wait till i get my pulley that way i wont have to fight it while the motor is in the car..thanks
matt
Old 09-06-2004, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Read this it explains it.

http://www.ls1howto.com

The reason you don't tighten them all the way before you put your pulley is to center the cover with the pulley. Otherwise you will chew the seal and probably push it back in the cover (towards motor).
Basically to prevent unseating the seal and centering it with the pulley.