Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Does anyone else HATE their moser 12 bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does anyone else HATE their moser 12 bolt?

I've had the rear for about a month now. 33 spline, heavy duty posi, 4.10 gears. I drove it about 200 miles and the entire time it was pretty loud.. but only when holding a constant speed. It was dead quiet on decel. I trailered the car to the track last Tuesday night and ran it 4 times. All 4 60ft times were in the 1.68 to 1.63 range on ET streets. I brought it back home on the trailer and it sat until this morning. I drove it 60 miles round trip to work and back today and my freaking ears are ringing from listening to the damn rear SREAMING during accel, decel, and cruise I can't help but to feel like my car sounds like a piece of **** now because of this $2,500 rear end

It has to be the ring and pinion not setup correctly in the rear.. what's the chances of me buying a GOOD set of 4.10's and having a GOOD shop install them... will they be quiet, and more importantly STAY quiet? I am not kidding when I say that it actually hurt my ears to drive the car to work and back today, it is that loud
Old 09-07-2004, 06:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a new set of 4.11's installed when i bought it and had it in for about 3k now and its dead quiet. Its all in the set -up and a proper break in. I think i drove mine a little over 500 miles before i took it to the track.

JR
Old 09-07-2004, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine was quieter than stock until I took it too the track. Now it's absolutely horrible. It even drowns out my open y-pipe on the highway. I hate it but have learned to just deal with it I guess.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:37 PM
10 Second Club

hey gomer i have heard about what your saying with the 12bolt. one reason i havent desided on a rear for my car yet but i think when i get my funds togethere im going to go with a 9in since i have a 6 speed and have more power planed in the future. i seen a lot of guys talking about the 12 bolt being quite untill they launch hard on sticky tires with the 6 speed then they become nosy. i guess its the sudden shock the 6 speed give the drive train un like a auto when all its drive train is preloaded cause of the stalls. i havent heard if the 9in makeing lots of nose yet but im still doing my reserch before i put down 2500+ dollors
Eddie
Old 09-07-2004, 11:00 PM
10 Second Club

Exactly the same experience here. Moser said maybe the crush sleeve compressed a little. The pattern looked good, but the 4.10s howled after the first visit to the track. I put Strange gears in and all is good now.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:25 AM
Staging Lane

I just had the gears changed in my Moser a few months ago. The installer stated that Moser set up the gear wrong and that caused the whine. He said there was no preload on the pinion and when the nut was removed the the pinion just fell out and The crush sleeve was uncrushed. I don't know anything about rear ends so the only thing this means to me is that Moser set up my 12 bolt wrong and it cost me $ to fix it.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My Moser howled when I got it.

I ended up doing the same thing as cne411. Thanks to Pyle Bros. in Baytown. After several trips to the track it's not dead quiet, but it's still way better than the original Moser setup.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:17 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 9" the first set of gears were the 3.50 and they didnt whine they SCREAM. I had to wear ear plugs. I went to the detroit locker and a set of 3.70 so i could go to a 28" tire. At first they where dead quite but after a few hard launches on slicks they are starting to talk to me. It may be to late for you Gomer but moser is well known for there poor gear setups. You may be able to have a "reputable" shop reset them
Old 09-08-2004, 04:18 PM
Launching!

I just broke mine in and no whine what so ever, not even a slight one.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess I got lucky with my 9", my gears are dead silent everywhere except a slight whine on decel from about 45-50mph.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's the gears they use (material wise, very hard). And it's also the install. They set the gears up to take drag strip launches so they're more apt to make whine vs a street type setup that's setup to have a compromise b/w street driving and occasional drag strip passes.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:16 PM
TECH Addict

Pretty sucky when a company that "specializes" in rear end components and assembly makes a product that ridiulously loud. I don't care what you say, that's poor quality control. I'm glad I don't have my $2500 yet. I've heard the same thing about their 9" rears as well. I guess Strange is the only real option since Extreme can't keep up with 8.8's ( I thought that was my option!). Sucks to hear Gomer, you've really spent a lot of $ and time in your car too. I don't think a 11 second car should have to reduce your hearing threshold because of a rear end. I'd buy that on a low 10 second ride or quicker.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:51 AM
11 Second Club

I've decided that I'm going to just tough it out for right now and endure the SCREAMING ROAR that the gears make. I'm going to take it back to the track tomorrow night and see if it survives. If it will make it until January or so when it gets cold here, I may have a different set of gears installed. I guess I'll just invest in some ear plugs for the drive to work and back now.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Mine annoys me too, but its more of a whine then the SCREAMING ROAR you're stuck with. Happens between like 40-60. Above 60 I think its still there, its just the pitch is higher. When I changed the oil after the 500 mile break-in, there seemed to be ALOT of shavings. But in addition to the whine I have the clunking around tight turns (except when I give it some gas). Put in 2 bottles of friction modifier but didn't help. As for the whine, there was another thread where some people mentioned they had some luck using a heavier, 85W-140 gear oil as opposed to the 80W-90 that is reccomended.

I have yet to beat on it yet, only has about 15 passes all on nittos with 1.9 60's being the best. Now that I have the HD d/s, I'm getting some M/T DR's or ET Streets, and we'll see how loud she sings after a few 5k clutch dumps. I'm sure it will only get worse
Old 09-09-2004, 07:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

That sux. Does this happen on all moser 9" also? I am/was just about to buy one
Old 09-09-2004, 08:10 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
That sux. Does this happen on all moser 9" also? I am/was just about to buy one
If I had it to do over again, before I installed the rear, I'd take it to a good drivetrain shop and let them check the ring and pinion setup before I installed the rear. Atleast that way you know if it is right or not before you get it installed.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:49 AM
8 Second Club

Sorry to hear that man. Mine did the exact same thing after a few hard launches. Took it apart and it had lost almost all the pinion preload. I lived with mine for about a year like that and it drove me absolutely CRAZY!

Last year I took it to a guy experienced in setting up rears for race cars. I took him a set of Motive gears and a solid pinion spacer to put in. I also started running 85w-140 hypoy-c gear lube to help cusion the gears. Since then, it picked up a small amount of whine on decel after the first 5-10 hard launches but hasn't gotten louder since then. I've probably made 40+ passes on it this year in the 1.6x 60' range w/o any increase in noise.

Sent you a PM too Scott.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:13 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
It's the gears they use (material wise, very hard). And it's also the install. They set the gears up to take drag strip launches so they're more apt to make whine vs a street type setup that's setup to have a compromise b/w street driving and occasional drag strip passes.

Shouldn't be ROARING though. Mine whine, but for the reasons that Cannibal gave I know I have to put up with it.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TWS

Shouldn't be ROARING though. Mine whine, but for the reasons that Cannibal gave I know I have to put up with it.
You can always have a street duty gear from Yukon or the like installed.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

Anyone ever talk to Mark Williams?? Maybe his stuff is big $ but I know now there is something to be said about a "cheap" rear end I guess. If you could consider $2500 cheap!!!!