Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ported my tb and now it wistles.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ported my tb and now it wistles.

I've been going back and forth weather or not to port my tb and finally decided that it couldn't hurt. I followed one of the how to guides I found and it said to fill the open area with jb weld and drill two holes to let the air through. Did everything just like the how to and installed everything in and started it up and it didn't want to run and then stalled. I then reset the computer and it started up and ran but wistled pretty loudly. It wistles from the hole the idle speed sensor draws air through. When the car warmed up, it went away but wistles whenever you press the gas. Do I need a bigger hole? Or just a new tb? I don't think I can get the jb out.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wtf kinda guide told you to put jb weld in your tb, id think the noise is to small of holes if thats all you did
Old 09-11-2004, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine wistles too on a cold startup. It's from the IAC hole suckin the air through it.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try chamfering the edges of the IAC bleed hole and
the PCV makeup air hole with a somewhat oversized
drill bit, by hand. Sharp edges make the whistle.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

I'll give that a try jimmy, thanks. Someone else suggested that the IAC wasn't sealling properly in the tb, I'm gona look into that also.

Smokin, you fill it and sand it to be the same contour as the rest of the tb that way turbulance in cut down a lot.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

I pulled the tb off again and cleaned up where the iac seats and made sure the o ring was in place. I also cleaned up the sharp edges on the holes I drilled. I also noticed that when I drilled into the jb for the iac I drilled it horzantally to get a flat spot to drill vertically into it. If that makes sense. Basically there was an area for the air going by to catch on and create sound. I filled it with jb and drilled it smooth again and also made the hole a little bigger and now the noise is WAY quieter. As for the gains? All I've noticed is that when you just blip the throttle it jumps more but I can't really notice anything up top or when you just punch it. The car just jumps more when you blip it. Which I guess is more intimidating to other people.