Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header coating

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header coating

Ok, so I have been searching for the headers I want to buy for a while because obviously I'm just being safe and don't wonna buy something I really don't end up wanting. I don't want to spend too much money buy will if i have to. I like the pacesetter headers a lot except for the fact that they arent stainless. How much of an impact is just the coating going to make in terms of rust? I was thinking maybe just going somewhere and getting it coated myself instead of buying it coated. Has anyone ever considered that as an option, or would it just end up costing more? Basically, I really like pacesettet minus no stainless, and need some advice. Thanks.

Ryan
Old 09-23-2004, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

you can pick up the coated pacesetters from a few of the sponsors for less than $420 shipped. The cheapest stainless headers I have found are the stainless works for $699. As long as you dont bang or scrape the headers during the install the coating "should" keep for about 2-5yrs depending on your driving habits and the weather your subject them to. Stainless however will out live your car they say. I myself have debated this issue plenty of time and Im getting the coated pacesetters not just for the price, but they're all I can afford since Im buying new furniture so I have to limit myself on expensive parts......
Old 09-23-2004, 06:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW: My jet-hots, with the jet-hot brand coating, had noticable rust on the passenger side even without having ever been driven in the snow. Showed up in less than a year. I think a GOOD, quality set of stainless headers is worth the money IF you can afford them. I, however, could not.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Does anyone know how much it would cost to get a high quality stainless job on headers?
Old 09-24-2004, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Okay nvm as of now I'm just going to go the QTP route and forget about the money issue. $800 is doable I suppose. Quality is important and I shouldn't be settling for low-quality or poor fitment. Thank you for those that tried to help me out.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by project98LS1
Does anyone know how much it would cost to get a high quality stainless job on headers?
You mean coat or turn non mild steel headers into stainless ones? It's gotta start life as stainless to be stainless, no 'stainless steel in a can' spray on type options unfortunately (I wish there were).

Originally Posted by project98LS1
Okay nvm as of now I'm just going to go the QTP route and forget about the money issue.
Good choice.