Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 02:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spark plug question

The other day my car started loading up and misfiring real bad again for about 1 minute while driving. It's been doing this off and on for months now. So when I got home I got around to pulling all 8 of my plugs.

I cant get a good picture of them so I'll just try and describe it. All the ones on the drivers side look great. However, all 4 of the passenger side has this white hard 'icing' type on the metal arch and its also on the white part in the middle. Dunno what would cause this, I just find it weird all 4 on the same side look like this, while the other side looks fine.

I was told this was due to a lean condition on the passenger side bank, most likely due to a bad O2 sensor pulling out fuel. Should I go ahead and shell out the $$ for a new o2 sensor or swap the 2 and see if the problem happens to the other side?
Old 09-26-2004, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I personally hate changing both 02 sensors and plugs. However, I would first switch the plugs and see if it happens. Are you throwing any codes?

-Todd
Old 09-26-2004, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
I personally hate changing both 02 sensors and plugs. However, I would first switch the plugs and see if it happens. Are you throwing any codes?

-Todd
The SES light will flash while misfiring, then when it stops misfiring the SES light will stay off. Sometimes it will stay on and I'll have a random misfire code like usual. I just got done changing all 8 plugs and put MSD 8.5 superconductors on, so we'll see how that works. I'll switch the o2 sensors and see if it makes the drivers side run lean...if so then I'll know its a bad o2 sensor.