Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suggestions about a stall

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 10:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default suggestions about a stall

Just wondering if you guys would recommend buying a new stall or will a used one be ok. I have heard not to buy a used one because u dont know what kind of abuse it has had. However i have seen a few w/ a restall left. Those should be ok right?

Also i have the stock 10 bolt and really dont have the money for a 12 bolt at this point so i was wondering how much the stall would help me if i only wanted to cut the same 60's for now. Say 1.9-2.0 maybe a little better.

Basically i want to know how much the ''keeping me in the powerband'' will help me. I know they can significanly reduce ur et but what part of it is from launching and what part is from staying in the powerband.

Is is like .3 from launch and .2 from powerband from example ? Or can u actually gain .1 from the powerband part?
Old 09-29-2004, 07:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Used should be ok if it is in great shape. I just got a used st3500 for myself (low miles on a car with only 7k on the clock) stall had only 2k miles on it i think.

Anyways,

Most of the stall is forl the launch apparently. I am running my stock 10 bolt with drag radials right now and havnt had problems. Autos dont give near as much of a problem as the M6. You should be ok, even with the stall converter, I get the impression that it still doesnt shock the rear as much as with a 6 speed.

Get a yank!!!
Old 09-29-2004, 07:42 AM
10 Second Club

Rear end should hold unless you are unlucky (i.e. me) The big thing to make sure when you get a stall is make sure you get a tranny cooler and a deep transmission pan. Neither is expensive compared to the cost of replacing a transmission because of heat. I run my 4400 as a pseudo daily driver and it is awesome. I have had a 3200 as well and it is much more "streetable". I like yank as well.

Good Luck
Old 09-29-2004, 06:56 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the input. The think im worried about buying used ones it that i cant see how you could see the conditions because you cant see inside. Is there a way to test it?

I have also heard that this will help you when racing an manual car, is this true?
Old 09-29-2004, 09:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tiger2o69
Thanks for the input. The think im worried about buying used ones it that i cant see how you could see the conditions because you cant see inside. Is there a way to test it?

I have also heard that this will help you when racing an manual car, is this true?
I sold mine used with no problems. The new owner reported the same gains I saw. I wouldn't have sold it had I known something was wrong with it. Buy it from someone local or a reputable member of this board (search their user name).

A high stall TC will help racing a stick car, but if the stick car has gears, it's tough.It also depends on what converter you buy.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

After I install it will i be able to set everything with my hp tuners so it works right?
Old 10-03-2004, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

You can change your shift points with hptuners, yes