Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sea foam- where to buy it & how to use it

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 04:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sea foam- where to buy it & how to use it

My 01 trans am is missing at idle and not running smooth at all! I bought some NGK TR55's to put in this weekend but was thinking about also doing the top end cleaner and see if this takes care of it. My car isn't throwing any codes but runs like it should. Where do I buy seafoam, can I get it at Autozone or advance auto parts? Second, how do i use it on my own? is it a spray? WHere do I use it, before the MAF?
Old 09-30-2004, 04:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mc01ta
My 01 trans am is missing at idle and not running smooth at all! I bought some NGK TR55's to put in this weekend but was thinking about also doing the top end cleaner and see if this takes care of it. My car isn't throwing any codes but runs like it should. Where do I buy seafoam, can I get it at Autozone or advance auto parts? Second, how do i use it on my own? is it a spray? WHere do I use it, before the MAF?
You should be able to buy it at advance auto parts. Thats where I bought mine. It is NOT a spray. When I did my car I started the car pulled the vacum hose from the brake booster slowly When I slowly I mean slowly start pouring the sea foam down the vacum hose. If you pour it to fast it will kill the engine. Pour about half the bottle in. shut the car off. & go find something to do for a couple of hours. I actually did mine at night & came back to it in the morning. Start the car & wait for the smoke to begin. Just let the car idle until all smoke has cleared. (Its going to look like you neighborhood is on fire for about 30min.) Then just be sure to change the oil afterwards. That should do it. Thats the only way I have ever done it, so if there are other ways maybe someone else will chime in..
Vann
Old 10-01-2004, 07:57 AM
TECH Regular

where is the hose located? Is it under the TB or next to it? I might be thinking of the pvc but maybe thats the spot where u are talking about
Old 10-01-2004, 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mc01ta
where is the hose located? Is it under the TB or next to it? I might be thinking of the pvc but maybe thats the spot where u are talking about

I bought my can at AutoZone, pulled off the pvc hose from the manifold and connected some fuel line to it, put the end of the hose into the can of SeaFoam and let me the motor suck the SeaFoam into the intake, did it very slowly. worked like a champ.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:07 PM
TECH Regular

either PCV or Brake booster hose will work. Both are on the passenger side of throttle body. Once you unhook the hose, wait for the PCM to adjust A/F as a result of more air getting in - it is going to take a few seconds, you will be able to hear when it adjusts. Make sure you are pouring seafoam down the right end of the hose, crankshaft will create some vaccum as well and will be happy to suck stuff in... don't ask me how I found that one out . If the engine really wants to die once you start pouring seafoam in, open the throttle (a little bit). It is a good idea to have a friend shut down the car, just as you finish pouring it it so there's as much of this stuff in intake/chambers as possible when you let it soak.

When you restart the car it may not want to start right away, that's ok.

When I restart a car and make sure it idles strong, I like to go for a "spirited" drive. I get some really funny looks/honks and I once had a cop follow me for a few blocks
Old 10-01-2004, 04:09 PM
TECH Regular

that last post is funny as ****....all i can picture is you driving all strange with a ton of smoke coming out the end of your car with the po-po coming after you
Old 10-01-2004, 04:28 PM
10 Second Club

lol i used some GM enigine top cleaner and when for a drive and got pulled over cause of all the smoke lol longdaddy your story just reminded me of that
Eddie
Old 10-01-2004, 04:57 PM
TECH Regular

I live close to fire dept. station and they have gas pumps that our local cops often use. I always go there on my "seafoam maintainance" drives. When I get there, I just put the car into low gear to get RPMs up and drive by at the speed limit. Never got pulled over though... I guess they have seen weirder things in their line of work.

Originally Posted by silverZ98
lol i used some GM enigine top cleaner and when for a drive and got pulled over cause of all the smoke lol longdaddy your story just reminded me of that
Eddie

Last edited by longdaddy; 10-01-2004 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:47 PM

can someone show a pic of the booster its self
Old 10-31-2005, 10:36 PM
Banned

so do you just need to put it in the brake booster or do you do it in all three. vaccum line, gas, and oil?