Mounting a V1 radar detector

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting a V1 radar detector

I purchased the mount from here
http://www.greatlakestrophies.com/corvette.htm
It says it is for the corvette but it works on the Camaro, I got the X-1190 F21105 $25 model. I think the $20 model would work fine also. You will probably want to get the $20 model if you switch your rear view mirror between night/day mode via the little tab on the mirror. The $20 model will has a longer neck and give more clearance if you switch your mirror between night and day use. I have tinted window so I dont use the night/day tab.

I simply unscrewed the rear view mirror, put a couple of layers of 2 sided sticky tape between the mount and the mirror so it would not wiggle or wobble.

The wiring was a breeze, I unplugged the connector to the dome lights on the rear view mirror, stripped and exposed the wires from the supplied V1 accessory plug and simply stuffed the ground wire into the hole with the black wire and the hot into the hole with the blue wire. NO SPLICING OR SOLDERING WIRES at all. Stuffed the extra wire and fuse under the roof panel and plugged the dome light receptacle back in and works like a charm. The wiring from the radar detector follows the same path as the wire from the dome lights as it snakes under the roof panel. Took about 30 minutes to do it all.

Here are some pics:
Attached Thumbnails Mounting a V1 radar detector-v1_1.jpg   Mounting a V1 radar detector-v1_2.jpg   Mounting a V1 radar detector-v1_5.jpg  
Old 10-03-2004, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice install.

I'll be looking into something like that. I haven't really had the need for a detector here in Hawaii, but I'll definitely need something along the lines of what you have out in Cali.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GRAYZ
I purchased the mount from here
http://www.greatlakestrophies.com/corvette.htm
It says it is for the corvette but it works on the Camaro, I got the X-1190 F21105 $25 model. I think the $20 model would work fine also. You will probably want to get the $20 model if you switch your rear view mirror between night/day mode via the little tab on the mirror. The $20 model will has a longer neck and give more clearance if you switch your mirror between night and day use. I have tinted window so I dont use the night/day tab.
Do you have any pics from outside the car? How noticeable is the detector hanging off the mirror?
Old 10-04-2004, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Z28Venom
Very nice install.

I'll be looking into something like that. I haven't really had the need for a detector here in Hawaii, but I'll definitely need something along the lines of what you have out in Cali.
Thanks, it is almost impossible to use the sticky suction cups to mount the detector on the Z windshield because of the rake. This is much better. When I want to use it for a trip in the mini van, I just unplug it, slide it off and use the suction cups for the mini van.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Spurkey
Do you have any pics from outside the car? How noticeable is the detector hanging off the mirror?
Got home this evening and had to rush off to baseball practice with my son. I will get a pic from the outside in the daylight for you tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Mounting a V1 radar detector