Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screwed by Sh*t Rocker Arms

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 04:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad Rocker/Bad Valve from Patriot

Changed my oil today and when i pulled out the drain plug, noticed some needle bearings. I thought great, i have a bad rocker arm. So i proceeded to take the valve covers off and noticed the #2 cylinder had a bad rocker on it. Took it off and there it was, the ugliest looking valve i have ever seen. Looks like it needs to be replaced. This fu*king sucks. I didn't think a rocker could do this damage, turns out the heads have bad valves in them. I am calling patriot to see if they will warrenty them

Just needed to vent
Attached Thumbnails Screwed by Sh*t Rocker Arms-mvc-028f.jpg   Screwed by Sh*t Rocker Arms-mvc-027f.jpg  

Last edited by ls1itldo; 10-11-2004 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-10-2004, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ls1itldo
Changed my oil today and when i pulled out the drain plug, noticed some needle bearings. I thought great, i have a bad rocker arm. So i proceeded to take the valve covers off and noticed the #2 cylinder had a bad rocker on it. Took it off and there it was, the ugliest looking valve i have ever seen. Looks like it needs to be replaced. This fu*king sucks

Just needed to vent
Thats some nasty poop. What kind of rockers are they? How many miles did you put on them?
Old 10-10-2004, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Those look like stockers to me. Or SLP 1.85's. Either way that blows. Hope you get that fixed up quick man. Mine gets an oil change here in a few weeks....don't need any needle bearings in my junk lol.
Old 10-10-2004, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Another_User
Thats some nasty poop. What kind of rockers are they? How many miles did you put on them?
stock rockers, they have about 70k on them. I should have expected it, but to change rockers i would have to cut the head a little so they clear the wall, and i didn't want to do that.
Old 10-10-2004, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

hit up Nate @ Nasty Performance, he's doin that rebuild deal. Harland Sharp rebuilds your stock rockers and puts a C-clip on them so they don't spray needle bearings everywhere. might be an idea for you. i think the cost is ~$260.
Old 10-10-2004, 04:43 PM
Launching!

i am headed up to new mexico in the next week, i think i am going by TSP and see what they can do. They have done everything for me in the past and i have been very pleased. It should be ok to drive on
Old 10-10-2004, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

It might make it to where you are going but do you really want to take the chance? In the pic it looks like the retainer is somewhat damaged and one of the locks is tore up pretty good. If that valve drops your going to need more than just a new valve. Good luck.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by johns01ta
It might make it to where you are going but do you really want to take the chance? In the pic it looks like the retainer is somewhat damaged and one of the locks is tore up pretty good. If that valve drops your going to need more than just a new valve. Good luck.

why risk dropping the valve and possibly kissin the piston?
Old 10-10-2004, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

Looks like the tip of that valve wasn't hardened correctly. Was it stock vavles or aftermarket ones? Who's heads and valves are you running?
Old 10-10-2004, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

i would like to know the valve and head brand also
Old 10-10-2004, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WinMan
i would like to know the valve and head brand also
Check out this thread
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/146080-got-my-patriot-heads-last-weekend.html It looks like they are patriot heads. I would really like to know if they had the patriot valves in them or not. I really think these heads would be a killer deal, but every time I get close to buying a set something like this pops up and scares me about them Maybe we'll get some confirmation on this soon. My car needs some heads, but I don't want to be pulling them off in a few months after installing them.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Don't drive this car!

Just pretend you are a terrorist in Iraq. Then "behead" the motor on the damaged side.

Remove the valve retainer, remove the valve and replace it with a new valve, new retainer, new keeper and new rocker.

One caution, if the head is an after-market ported head make sure you check to see if they used stock LS1 or LS6 valves. If they did, you OK as long as the seat, chamber and piston are not damaged.

Since the stock rockers were defective from the factory like so many of the other **** parts GM installed on the Gen 3 (oil pumps, push rods, pistons, rings, etc.) you might as well replace them all with aftermarket roller rockers.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
Don't drive this car!

Just pretend you are a terrorist in Iraq. Then "behead" the motor on the damaged side.
That was a dumb ****** comment man. Really poor choice of words to use. Slightly disappointed that you'd go there.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
That was a dumb ****** comment man. Really poor choice of words to use. Slightly disappointed that you'd go there.
Yep, not laughing.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:27 PM
Launching!

this is the 5th rocker that went bad, but none have ever hurt any valves before, on my old heads this is the first. These are patriot heads with what ever valves they use. I will call patriot to see if it is indeed a defective valve, i am sure they won't replace anything and claim that it was a bad rocker that casued this. I have never had one do this to the valve before, seems like a cheap valve.

Last edited by ls1itldo; 10-11-2004 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by robertbartsch

just plain stupid.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

Did you check how valve stems are aligned in those heads ?

My Patriot S2 perimeter bolt heads had exhaust valve stems visibly lower in the head resulting in less lifter preload... spring heights were consistent though, weird, and I milled the heads so I didn't bother further then. But now I'll get the missing bronse guides installed locally, put Manleys in and better better check the stem thing again... it ticks a bit.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:28 AM
Launching!

i have seen numerous patriot perfomance heads were the valves where different sizes. I was at texas speed a few weeks before they stopped carrying those heads, and they noticed where the valves weren't matching up correctly. I don't know if they fixed the problem yet or not, but i think poor build quality is why TSP stopped carrying those heads. Maybe Patriot will make it right if it is indeed thier fault. I don't want to accuse them until i know for sure. It is just real hard for a rocker to do that much damage, if it can at all
Old 10-11-2004, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

everyone, lets keep this an information thread. lots of us who are using these heads want some questions answered. please do not post crap to get it locked.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:24 AM
Launching!

Looks like this was caused by bad valves that were not heat treated correctly. I will call patriot to warrenty these valves. I wouldn't think there would be any problems in warrenty. I will keep everyone updated.

thanks