Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Help! Pretty big problem here

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 10:11 AM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arrow Help! Pretty big problem here

Well on the way to the track tuesday nite I got stopped by a wisconsin state trooper for some stupid *** ****. he pulled me over for no front plate and my blackouts mainly.

I got a compliance ticket, which means I have 1 week to go back up to WI and find a cop and show him I fixed the issues.

My problem is what in the **** am I going to do about the front plate, I am NOT gonna screw up my custom candy paint over this, and I told the cop this to his face I was so pissed about it.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could attach this thing just to show a cop so it wouldn't damage my paint? I asked this porker if I could put it on the air dam and he said no, its not visible enough.

Double sided body moulding tape or something maybe?? Who's got some ideas..

man this car hasn't had a front plate on it for the 6 years I've owned it including 4 years of it being my only car and I've never had a damned problem till now, what bullshit.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man that sucks...

just an idea, not sure if it would work but how bout gettin a small piece of steel bout the width of a lis plate. bend it so that you could mount underneath the front fascia so the plate would still be on the front but without actually having to mount it to the "front" on ur paint........just an idea dont really kno if it would work or if that makes any sense just found that, its what i was tryin to get at

like this...http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/camfronlicpl.html

also not sure if I were u if Id risk the tape cuz you never kno what could happen when you went to remove it
Old 10-14-2004, 11:50 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have to show him the actual car again... or can you just take pictures?
Old 10-14-2004, 12:39 PM
R.I.P. November 11, 2007

Velcro, might be misspelled Cut the heads off of two bolts and grind them down smooth and glue the heads to the tag. That will make them think it is bolted on , the velcro will be what is really holding you tag in place you can remove it after they look at the car, if they have to see it in person. You will need to make sure and have it close up to your cars surface to pull this off so to speak. good luck
Old 10-14-2004, 12:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didnt SLP make a mount that doesnt mess up your car???
Old 10-14-2004, 01:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Or pay it and consider it an "appreance tax" ahhahah. Yea SLP had a LIC plate bracket that fit under the front and bent to place it on the front
Old 10-14-2004, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How can "Wisconsin" cop penalise an "Illinois" car for no plate?????

But can't you have "any" cop sign off stating the car is repaired and mail the stupid **** back?
Old 10-14-2004, 01:50 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look up the front plate law and you will find that there is a huge grey area on it one of our members here on Tech had this very same issue and by having it on his air dam he was let go. So it is how you interpret the law if there is a grey area operate in it.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used double sided tape like what ground effects use. Been on for a long time. I pressed the plate agianst the car first to get the right shape. Stick on the tape even it up and stick it. Peel it off when showing then stick it back on. You will need to change the tape everytime but it doesnt hurt the paint.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
How can "Wisconsin" cop penalise an "Illinois" car for no plate?????
That's what I want to know. If my car is registered in Florida, and I go to Texas, I am NOT going to put a front plate on. That is the bottom line. Some "cops" just give everyone else bad names.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:26 PM
Motorboater

well..i have WI plates on my camaro. I keep the car registered with my dad to avoid any emissions bullshit, the car has never had IL plates on it. he was nice enough not to give me any problems for having an IL license and WI plates though.

He said i can get the thing signed by any WI officer, doesn't have to be state police even.

wickedWs6, thanks for that link, that looks like the slp bracket folks are talking about..looks like you stil have to drill holes in the underside of the fascia though to mount that thing

onehardmaro, see that is what i was thinking...what brand tape did you use that didn't leave anything on hte paint? a little glue residue is no biggie obviously as i can get that off without much problems.

Well, I have to get a hold of this officer anyway through the state police as i broke my trans that nite at the track, i pulled the trans last nite and am going through it but very doubtful i'll be able to get the car out and about again in enough time to go get this signed off on anyway..
Old 10-14-2004, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
well..i have WI plates on my camaro. I keep the car registered with my dad to avoid any emissions bullshit, the car has never had IL plates on it. he was nice enough not to give me any problems for having an IL license and WI plates though.
AHHHH, tisk - tisk . . . lucky the cop didn't screw you over the IL drivers license . . . .
Old 10-14-2004, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

**** it, just pay...and thats it...
Old 10-14-2004, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Just put it on your dash. That's what is done down here in Texas.
Or better yet, tie wrap to your sun visor and flip it down to where is is visibly shown through the front winshield.
But remember--- The law just says to mount it on the "front" of the vehicle. No specific place.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:35 PM
Motorboater

i didn't see a fine anywhere on the ticket, will have to look. if its cheap enough i guess i'll just pay it, will have to check that out tonite.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:55 PM
Teching In

That sucks...I know here for that kind of ****, like with tints...Before you can pay the ticket u have to show that the problem is fixed, and if you don't pay tickets..well...
And you can't just fix the problem and not have to pay a fine (tints anyway, I don't know about other stuff like license plates, etc.)
I'm not sure if this is a local dick-head thing or a State (NY) thing...either way I hate this ****..people should be able to do a lot more with their cars than they are allowed (in a lot of states).
Old 10-14-2004, 05:19 PM
Teching In

That is a big problem. I know how you feel because I used to live in IL with IL plates and had a WI drivers license. If you were in the area of union grove I think the police have an arrangement between IL and WI that cross deputizes both officers or something. Just find a cool cop, if those exist in your area, and have him sign off on the ticket. A good persuasive conversation and maybe a six pack and you should be on your way.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Question Idea??

Maybe just drill 1 tiny hole on each corner of the license plate. Get some 2 sided tape, some smooth wire, (not metal), and some foam. Take the 2 sided tape, apply it to each corner of the back of the license plate, apply the foam onto the back of the license plate in the location where the metal of the license plate would come into contact with the grill, and use the non-metal wire to attach it through the grill and through the license plate. Hopefully this will work for you and good luck!!!!

Quick Reply: Help! Pretty big problem here