Sponsored by:

how big can i go..

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 01:57 PM
DJ
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how big can i go..

how big on bore can i go on a sleeved ls1 block?

the deal is i cracked my block a while back and now its time to build it up for real--i already have the heads i want to use (pull off c5r heads) but im still unsure about the block--unfortunitly money is a factor here law school budget --if i re sleeve the stock block say darton or someone what kinda bore am i looking at maximum--what should be the limits i try to pursue here? or would it be better to go iron*grimmace* 6 liter and go from there--i know the weight addition sucks but would it be more cost effective and easier (ie less down time ) to just go that route--i have never considered sleeving the stock bottom before so im clueless as to anything in this area--

any help is appreciated--thx in adavance

also im keeping the stock crank, not that it matters directly but just to get all the info out there that i know for sure thus far--
DJ
Old 10-14-2004, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't understand why you would spend the thousands of dollars on C5R heads, another couple grand on a Darton resleeve, then leave the stock crank in there.....money issue or not. I'd sell the C5R heads for BANK and get a badass set of stg 3 ls6 heads and still have money left over for a lunati crank. No offense intended, but I'm truely perplexed. What the hell is the point in spending all this money on a top-notch setup to utilize a weak-point, low-effort stock crank? It will result in smaller cubes and less ability to withstand the higher horsepower you're obviously yearning for if you're using C5R heads and resleeving the block. Just my thoughts.

To answer your question, you can bore the hell out of darton sleeves. They have 434's running around now IIRC. So at least .060 over. Remember, a 427 is 4" stroke w/a 4.125 bore. That requires a resleeve on a stock block. Can't do but .050-.010 over on a stock block to stay safe(can do more, but most people don't).

Last edited by cyphur_traq; 10-14-2004 at 07:20 PM. Reason: corrected formula
Old 10-14-2004, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Is this for your honda? Seriously though, if you want to make big power on a budget why spend the money for a resleve. Just get a forged 408 with a good set of heads and spend the money left over on suspension, tires, rear end and all the other stuff thats going to break with that much power.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

The wet darton sleeves start at 4.100 bore and can be taken to 4.160. If you are going N/A I would say 4.155 would be max I would go. If you want to be able to run some spray or fi down the road stick with a 4.125 bore. An alluminum 427 is 4.125 bore with a 4" stroke. You would save a lot of money going with the iron block and putting in a callies 4" crank. No worries about sleeves leaking with the iron block too. APE has some good prices for the short blocks.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:58 PM
DJ
Staging Lane

thx for the input, and no this isnt for my honda--thats below the belt dont cha think--i had/build the nice ones--the ones you see vids of rolling people not the big winged ones that struggle to break 15's.

and the whole story is that i didnt have to pay bank for the heads, so i have something i can use, but i cannot sell--part of how i got them-and the intake mannifold is taken are of-it's legit--but the old c5r motors cant be popping up for sale in peices or somebody might get an *** full--

moving on i was told the stock crank would not be broken--yes im sure its a heavy heap compared to the lunati ones but i have it now and if it wont break then i figured id use it--if its a weak spot then ill get a different one, thats the point of making this post. plenty of people are making power without huge cubes but i would like to have more than 346--keeping in mind my heads came off a 7 liter it might be good to get the bore size a little bigger--but either way 6L on a budget sounds like the cheaper way i just have to weigh it out and deceide if i should go that way or not
timeto vist some sponsor sites and price some parts--i build my own stuff so i wont be buying someones shortblocks--
anyways im rambling now basically i was seeing if it was pracical to use what i had ie the block and crankk or save for a bit and go with something else--

also the rear and such arent a prob either the sig is very old--

thnaks again guys for the help

DJ
Old 10-14-2004, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

The crank is good for about 800 flywheel hp. You would be better off saving up for a crank then using that if you are doing the alluminum resleeve with c5r heads. I built my own block and it was a lot of fun. Good luck with it.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well you just won't acheive the higher cubes that you want with the stock crank. The stock crank's stroke is 3.622, to acheive the aluminum 427 like strokedls1 pointed out(thanks for correcting me) its a 4in stroke. with a 4.125 bore and a stock crank, you'll come out with a 388. not stock ci...but not a 427. http://www.csgnetwork.com/cubicinchdispcalc.html here's a nifty calculator not sure if you need it or not, but its come in handy for me from time to time.

i understand the situation about the C5R heads...but yea, I would still try and save up to do it right the first time around instead of half-assing it and getting poor results, and just redoing it 6mos down the road. JMO.