Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hysteria/Bo White...others

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hysteria/Bo White...others

Hey guys, I was messing with the 241 casting heads that I have and started to compare them to the 853 casting that I have been practicing on. Right away I noticed the combustion chamber is drastically better done. It comes to almost a complete polished surface. As opposed to the 853 being very rough finish, probably close to 60 grit paper. The next big difference would be that the intake valves are deshrouded noticably more than the 853. It was written somewhere that the 241 flows 10 cfm more than the 853. I can see how that would be a minimum number from the basic casting differences. I think really what I am getting at is if you are a home porter, DO NOT BOTHER with '98 heads. Have any of you guys ported the 853 and 241 and had flow numbers on each? I am curious to how far off in flow they would be at peak.

Later

Brandon
Old 10-19-2004, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The 241 casting is a very nice head,just the chamber is a good enough reason to use the 241.The whole heads finish is nicer then the 853.Its also very easy to port.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FASTONE
The 241 casting is a very nice head,just the chamber is a good enough reason to use the 241.The whole heads finish is nicer then the 853.Its also very easy to port.
Yeah I agree. When I cleaned the carbon off I looked at it and thought damn! I dont even have to mess with the CC. It sure is reason enough for me.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Yes, the 241 is a nicer looking cylinder head from the casting procedure. I believe it is diecast, also the 853 cobustion chamber has the hump on the exhaust side of the chamber that helps get the smaller cc combustion chamber. I just got a set of 241s yesterday and the ramp in the intake port is also more squared looking that the others too.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don"t forget what I told you guys about the swirl ramp!!! you can take about 75% out but not all,You will hit the water jacket Ask me how I know that!
Old 10-19-2004, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The 853 is made from a sand casting.The 241 is die cast.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

Fastone, I have a simple way to quelch that issue of going through the ramp into the jacket. I just went ahead and cut all the through the head on purpose to see how much room I had. Not to mention the cross section with the chop saw!!!! Destruction for education, there is nothing better.

Brandon
Old 10-19-2004, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea that was cool,but wasn"t it a 853 casting?I would love to do that to a 241 casting!!I"ve ported my 241 heads to 235 cc"s and 90 on the exhaust,only problem was swirlramp.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FASTONE
Yea that was cool,but wasn"t it a 853 casting?I would love to do that to a 241 casting!!I"ve ported my 241 heads to 235 cc"s and 90 on the exhaust,only problem was swirlramp.
Yeah it was an 853, but the casting still shows you what thickness you have to work with. I am all about destroying a 241, but would need a scrap one that was cracked or something. I cant justify killing another perfectly good head just yet. However I would like to cut into an LS6 intake manifold, I should buy the one for my car before I do that prolly. Mom always told me to stop breaking **** when I was young..........maybe sometime soon I will outgrow it.

Updated sig.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Fastone, I have a simple way to quelch that issue of going through the ramp into the jacket. I just went ahead and cut all the through the head on purpose to see how much room I had. Not to mention the cross section with the chop saw!!!! Destruction for education, there is nothing better.

Brandon
I did the same thing, and learned A LOT from what I saw. I am looking for a 241 head to hack up also. I would like to see what differences there are. If you hack up an intake, be sure to post some pics - very interested in that.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Hey guys, I was messing with the 241 casting heads that I have and started to compare them to the 853 casting that I have been practicing on. Right away I noticed the combustion chamber is drastically better done. It comes to almost a complete polished surface. As opposed to the 853 being very rough finish, probably close to 60 grit paper. The next big difference would be that the intake valves are deshrouded noticably more than the 853. It was written somewhere that the 241 flows 10 cfm more than the 853. I can see how that would be a minimum number from the basic casting differences. I think really what I am getting at is if you are a home porter, DO NOT BOTHER with '98 heads. Have any of you guys ported the 853 and 241 and had flow numbers on each? I am curious to how far off in flow they would be at peak.

Later

Brandon
Not to bump an old thread but was wondering what you meant about not bothering with the 98 head? I have done a set and they turned out the same as the other style heads and really the only dif' I see is the perimeter bolt pattern. You can get over 270cfm through a ported 215cc intake runner with a stock valve on the '98 or any year, that what I have been gettin'. The exhaust side is the same, 80cc with the stock valve flowing over 200cfm. Granted I do not open up intake runners like the rest but that is just the way I do my heads. You can get the port alot bigger and get about 20cfm more but does it really pay off when the stock intake is put back on? Just asking.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bo White
Not to bump an old thread but was wondering what you meant about not bothering with the 98 head? I have done a set and they turned out the same as the other style heads and really the only dif' I see is the perimeter bolt pattern. You can get over 270cfm through a ported 215cc intake runner with a stock valve on the '98 or any year, that what I have been gettin'. The exhaust side is the same, 80cc with the stock valve flowing over 200cfm. Granted I do not open up intake runners like the rest but that is just the way I do my heads. You can get the port alot bigger and get about 20cfm more but does it really pay off when the stock intake is put back on? Just asking.
The reason I said not to bother with the older heads is that basically most all the guys that are doing home porting as yourself and I try to do are buying used heads off people that have done head swaps and are looking to get rid of stockers. Now with that said there are plenty enough 241 castings out there to ****** them up for about the same price as an 853 casting. There is so much more refinement in the 241, being it is a die cast head over the sand casting. Not as many flaws, rough spots and general imperfections. I dont have the knowledge or the place to say the 2 heads couldnt flow exactly the same in the end. It just takes more work to get to that point. Why not buy the more finished head to start with if they are about the same price. That is basically the point I was trying to make.

Brandon
Old 11-04-2004, 08:23 AM
TECH Addict

I see that point. I understand what you were getting at now. The main reason the 241 is better out of the box flow wise is 1 the intake valve has a "back cut" made into it and 2 the area around the intake valve guide is slightly better on the intake side. The reason they flow roughly the same after porting is because you redo the port around the guide so the factory shapeing is for not and the older valves get the back cut done when you do the valve job at the machine shop. There are alot of 241s poping up here lately, I just had a set offered to me this morning and I bought a set for core work a couple of weeks ago. The only reason I keep all 3 styles of 5.7 LS1 heads is because most that talk to me what the same style head they send me, and I personally like doing it that way also.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bo White
I see that point. I understand what you were getting at now. The main reason the 241 is better out of the box flow wise is 1 the intake valve has a "back cut" made into it and 2 the area around the intake valve guide is slightly better on the intake side. The reason they flow roughly the same after porting is because you redo the port around the guide so the factory shapeing is for not and the older valves get the back cut done when you do the valve job at the machine shop. There are alot of 241s poping up here lately, I just had a set offered to me this morning and I bought a set for core work a couple of weeks ago. The only reason I keep all 3 styles of 5.7 LS1 heads is because most that talk to me what the same style head they send me, and I personally like doing it that way also.
I know what you are saying about the valves on the 241. Both the intake and exhaust are slightly deshrouded in the CC as well. Really though I put a mic on my stock valves at .580-.600 lift and the shrouding seems minimal at most to that lift. I am going to go ahead and mill my heads .030 and use the 2.02/1.6 valves. With doing that I am going to deshroud them myself according with the mill to try and keep the compression noticably above stock. Looks like my little project is going to drag beyond Christmas. But at that point we will see what the heads and an LS6 intake make power wise.

Brandon
Old 11-04-2004, 08:49 AM
TECH Addict

Good luck dude, keep us up to date.