Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 HOT CAM ?'s from a new member, advice pls.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 02:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 HOT CAM ?'s from a new member, advice pls.

have a 3000 stall and a few other simple mods.. car runs really well.
been reading all the hotcam threads on the board.. i understand the advantages and disadvantages.. i feel like its a more reliable cam as it has a lower peak point in the rpm band.. no need to spin 6500+ rpm. might be giving up 10-15hp but, i like the price for the power it will likely offer compared to what thunder and ls1speed have reccommended me cam wise, and i feel for 500$ or so i can always swap out for a bigger one in a year or two without losing to much. i know the kit comes with ls6 springs and the hot cam but..

1st question.. wanting to replace the connecting rods as well, is stock length correct? car has bounced off the rev limiter quite a few times and i feel its best if there replaced. do i need to get retainers ect as well?
2nd question.. can i put the cam in at my house and being that its not aggressive, will i more then likely be able to drive the car to the dyno 50 miles away?? i realize it prolly wont run perfect im just hoping to get there.
3rd question.. anyone know the best site or place to order it from???

also if anyone has a hotcam in there ls1 please let me know what if anything u like about it. a guy i know made 355rwhp with lt's and a hot cam from 298 origanally... i expect 35 or so as his may have been a fluke

thanks!
Old 10-28-2004, 03:07 AM
TECH Addict

1st question: connecting rods ???....do you mean push-rods ???...yes, replace them, stock length is OK, but get hardened ones

2nd qestion: yes.....it'll run well enough to get you anywhere you need to go

3rd question: www.sdpc2000.com

unasked question: skip the HOT cam and go for a VHP 047 or 042 cam...same price range and a MUCH better cam for the application you seem to want it for...... www.vincihighperformance.com
Old 10-28-2004, 03:10 AM
On The Tree

yea sorry its 408 am and i been lookin at connecting rods and pistons all nite for the 383 im building to go in the other car.... so yes pushrods is what i meant....
Old 10-28-2004, 03:53 AM
On The Tree

neone else with any advice???
Old 10-28-2004, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The advice that you will get around here is that there are better cams available for the LS series motor, and there are. Some people will just say "it sucks". There are a few of us around here that it was the right choice for whether it be price, or a myriad of other reasons. For what its worth I made 381 rwhp @ 5950 rpms, and 373 rwtq @ 5000 rpms with my Hotcam. There is a picture of my dyno in a Hotcam thread from last week.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like my cam , last dyno was 376/358 daily driver, got a box of Comp 918's and HS 1.8 rockers going in this weekend as soon as I finish my new leather install.Ran 11.86 with slicks, are there better cams sure am I switching no , maybe an ASA Cam down the road, I'm not a fan of high lift cam with stock heads.I went with TR pushrods, I get all my GM parts from Fred Beans Pontiac, will it make it to tuner hopefully mine ran like crap from a drivablity standpoint until it was tuned.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:49 AM
TECH Regular

I like mine
Old 10-29-2004, 01:00 PM
Launching!

my hot cam is cool. i havent ever compared it to another ls1 car with the same boltons and different cam, but it does good. dont listen to anyone who says there are better cams out there. wanna know why? cause its what you want in a cam. in my case there were no better cams avalable. this cam met all of my requirements. infact, i couldnt find another cam that compared to this one. but then people will flip it and say that you can get more power with a different cam. yea, true, but it doesnt fit my requirments. if you have been in a ls1 hotcam car and like it, get it. good luck.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

The real problem with the hotcam is that it has so much total duration that it idles and has worse driveability than most of the larger cams, such as the F11 and F12. If price is the main factor, go ahead and put it in, but you might as well not waste your time if you're even considering putting a bigger cam in later on. Just go for it now, you'll be much happier with the results.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mcflyz28
I like my cam , last dyno was 376/358 daily driver, got a box of Comp 918's and HS 1.8 rockers going in this weekend as soon as I finish my new leather install.Ran 11.86 with slicks, are there better cams sure am I switching no , maybe an ASA Cam down the road, I'm not a fan of high lift cam with stock heads.I went with TR pushrods, I get all my GM parts from Fred Beans Pontiac, will it make it to tuner hopefully mine ran like crap from a drivablity standpoint until it was tuned.
Post up and let us know how the hotcam does with the hi ratio rockers. I presently have the Yella Terra 1.8 with Comps 918's in my car and have been considering adding the Hotcam also.

Any idea how the springs will hold up with the combo of rockers and cam?
Old 10-29-2004, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i like my hotcam.

its running pretty rich, but i've been driving it like this for 2 weeks now. i expect some pretty decent gains from it when i get it tuned.

it sounds really mean, i think you'll like it.