New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change light on after 500 Miles? Patman help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change light on after 500 Miles? Patman help!

I'm running Mobil One and the K&N oil filter. I normally change my oil and filter every 2-3000 miles. I'm doing a lot more short trip driving than I used to and my oil change light came on after about 2 months and 500 miles. Is the oil senson actually sensing oil life? And if it is do I have a problem? >>
Old 11-11-2004, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

The lights on F-bodys, from my understanding, don't really work too well. I've had them come on the day after an oil change. I don't think it is anything to worry about.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WSteve6
The lights on F-bodys, from my understanding, don't really work too well. I've had them come on the day after an oil change. I don't think it is anything to worry about.
I thought about just resetting it and see what happens, but I wanted some other opinions on the slippery subject first!
Old 11-11-2004, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

that happened to me awhile back, i had a little over 300 miles on fresh mobil 1 10w/30. i just bit the bullet and changed my oil again to see if the oil senser was working correctly. may have been a waste of oil and a wast of $$$, but it has never thrown the change oil light since. kind of strange if you ask me.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just reset the light...there is no way the oil is worn out by now
Old 11-11-2004, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

I agree with 02black. There is no sensor to determine if the oil is worn out. The oil change light illuminates on a predetermined schedule, depending on what kind of driving you are doing. # of cold starts, time on, engine temperature, rpm range, etc. From what I understand, it's a pretty complex algorithim. I believe the only way yours could have come on after 500 miles is if you didn't reset the circuit (even though the light never previously came on) after changing the oil the last time. In fact, if you change it every 2-3k miles, I'll bet you haven't reset it since the second or third change ago.
Just reset the light and ignore it.

Not sure about the difference in driving, but mine came on (I didn't reset after changing the oil to see how long it would take) between 6-7k miles the first time. I had about three changes in between.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you reset the light the day you did your oil change. Even if the light isn't on, you need to reset it after each oil change.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah the light is based on mileage not on oil wear. If it isn't resetted when you do your oil change it will come on later on. I think the factory set it at 3500 miles or so. Don't quote me on that.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you are changing Mobil 1 after only 3,000 miles you are waisting your money. This oil can be run safely from 7,500-10,000 miles.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSDude
If you are changing Mobil 1 after only 3,000 miles you are waisting your money. This oil can be run safely from 7,500-10,000 miles.
Hmmmmm... i wonder how many filters are good to 10,000 miles
What should he do drain the oil, change the filter, then replace the old oil?
Ls1 motors are too expencive to run a "how many miles can i get away with" test.

My mobil 1 gets changed every 3k as well. Small price to pay for peace of mind.

As to the original question. The "sencer" is not one. It is an idiot light telling you that you have gone past the recomended oil change point milage. Reset it every time you change your oil.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaberwaki
Any oil filter can make it to 10k unless the engine is in bad shape.

Changing synthetic oil every 3k is a complete waste of money. You should at least take it to 5 or 6k. Oil analysis proves that it's completely safe. Tons of people have hundreds of thousands of miles on their engines while doing longer drain intervals with synthetic.

Even conventional oil made nowadays can go 4-5k easily without harming the life of the engine. The 3000 mile oil change is like the 8 track tape, a throwback to the 1970s!
Old 11-12-2004, 05:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Small price to pay for peace of mind.

i also change my plugs every 15,000 miles (gasp!)

since i do them both my self it dont cost much to do. i love doing it, and i dont know about you , but i would never buy a car whos owner said proudly,"the oil was changed every 10,000 miles just like clockwork"

Not picken a fight, its just the way i am
Old 11-12-2004, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What should he do drain the oil, change the filter, then replace the old oil?
Ls1 motors are too expencive to run a "how many miles can i get away with" test.

My mobil 1 gets changed every 3k as well. Small price to pay for peace of mind.

As to the original question. The "sencer" is not one. It is an idiot light telling you that you have gone past the recomended oil change point milage. Reset it every time you change your oil.
Mobil 1 can easily make it to 10,000 miles. After 7,500 miles you can do a Used Oil Analysis (UOA). You can obtain a kit here.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free_test_kit.html

The type of oil used and its additive package is often the most improtant factor in keeping the engine clean.

Last edited by SSDude; 11-15-2004 at 12:08 AM.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Thanks Patman and everybody else for all the info! It took me two or three trys to get the light reset before this happened. I also feel like the LS1 is too expensive to make stupid mistake with. I'll reset the idiot light and go on my way!
As for the rice burners, I just wave them off like telling a little kid to go away. Beating them in a drag race is too easy. I had one pesky Acura punk running his mouth everytime I saw him, until my wife smoked and steamed his rice for him with her Olds Aurora! (he was alone, we had four people in the car!) she beat him to 60mph by a good 2 lengths. LOL His mouth seems to be broke now........mmmm too bad.....not!