Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 07:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch and warranty

Picked up my car 3 weeks ago... 02 ws6 with 12200 miles when i got it... now at 13800 miles the clutch is slipping noticeably... any chance its covered under warranty??

IF not.... spec 3I any good? I'm gonn ahave heads/cam in about 8 months (already got the heads... they just need a finish port job (gtp stage 2s)) and I dont want like a stage 1, then gotta change again. I will also be spraying a 125 shot in about a week or 2
Old 11-15-2004, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

take it to the dealer before you do any hardcore mods...i had my clutch replaced under warranty at about the same mileage (12k or so)
Old 11-15-2004, 10:22 PM
Launching!

sweeet... i hope they replace it.

it does weiiird **** when its cold sometimes (usually if i left it in gear overnight or for a long period of time)

when i try to put it in gear... it moves the car and wont go into gear... even though the clutch is all the way in. anyone know what that is?
Old 11-15-2004, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have no clue what that is...mine never did anything like that, and actually mine was working just fine, never slipped or anything..but it felt "spongy" sometimes, and im cool with the service department here so they replaced the whole thing
Old 11-15-2004, 10:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chances are they will not, but as some will tell you , you could get lucky. never hurts to ask right?

IMHO i would look at the Ram VDS before the spec peice(my buddys just blew taking out his tranny with it)
Old 11-15-2004, 10:58 PM
Launching!

I had mine replaced on my last car at 20k miles. It just didnt feel right and after driving other 6 speed LS1's I knew that it wasnt right, so I got it taken care of under warranty, no questions asked.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sweet Cheeks
I had mine replaced on my last car at 20k miles. It just didnt feel right and after driving other 6 speed LS1's I knew that it wasnt right, so I got it taken care of under warranty, no questions asked.
same here...
Old 11-16-2004, 04:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clutch and Warranty

Having a GM product has been pretty good in regards to my warranty work. I've had the rotors replaced at 12,000 miles, the rear-end carrier and axle bearings replaced, and the clutch disc actually broke the rivets holding the disc to the splined gear. That was at 35,683 miles!!! Lucky for me it was JUST under warranty!! But, they have never said anything like, "you have mods on your car", or "we can see you've been drag-racing this thing." They've always been cool.

Now, take my wife's 2000 Ford Mustang GT. She had the extended warranty and it spun a bearing at 50,000 miles. They were giving us all kinds of problems, that it has headers, it has a cold air kits, blah, blah, blah. They also tried to tell us we had a performance chip on the computer! I told that SOB service dick that if he could find a performance chip, I'd pay him $100.00!! Then, after finally getting the motor replaced under warranty, they f'd up the clutch and now we need a new pressure plate and clutch. They said they would cover the labor, but we'd have to pay the cost of the clutch. Not sure how replacing the engine made the pressure plate bad, but that's their story!! I know that they f'd up something, like put the disc in backwards or didn't check if there was a pilot bearing in the crate motor first. The problem is proving what those ******** did. We just want our car back!

The moral is, don't buy a Ford unless you never expect to have warranty work done!!! But, I already knew this and that's why I still love my Trans Am!!!

PS - Sorry for being so long winded!! That Ford dealer is killing me!!
Old 11-17-2004, 05:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is it slipping when in 6th gear or most gears. That is pretty early for a clutch to go I think. Mine has almost 100,000 miles on the stocker and still not slipping that I can feel. I would for sure try to get them to warranty this.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:24 AM
Launching!

seesm to slip the most in 1st, 2nd, and some in 3rd. dont really notice in the higher gears.

used to smoke em in 1st gear.. now it just kinda well... sorta does lol. that was a perty good hint.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Evil98RT
sweeet... i hope they replace it.

it does weiiird **** when its cold sometimes (usually if i left it in gear overnight or for a long period of time)

when i try to put it in gear... it moves the car and wont go into gear... even though the clutch is all the way in. anyone know what that is?
That sounds like a hydraulic issue. Could be related to your clutch slipping (i.e.-if your slave cylinder is leaking, its possible that fluid could be getting on the clutch disk causing it to slip).
Old 11-18-2004, 12:27 PM
Launching!

well.. i just talked to the dealership.... they said if its the clutch at all.. it is NOT covered whatsoever PERIOD. bastards.

I'm gonna talk to a few other dealerships.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:39 PM
11 Second Club

Shop arround. It is a 30/70 chance. They would not do mine even though the car got stuck in 4th a few times and I had to drive it several miles each time to the dealer to get fixed.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:45 PM
Launching!

clutch wont be warrantied. oh well. i'm gonna be sprayin soon anyways... so a new one wouldnt have lasted long anywho.

what should I get for a clutch? for now the car is close to stock.

mti air lid, K&N filter, ported MAF, B&M ripper (i powershift), B&B exhaust. will soon have asp crank pulley, and a tune (hopin for 340 ish rwhp). once I get the clutch in I will be runnin a 125 shot as well.

OH... once my warranty is up... installing gtp stage 2+ (maybe stage 3s instead.. gonna send mine out and have them reported) cam, ls2 manifold or fast manifold, headers, cutout, custom tune.... the norm. still keep the spray.

what clutch and links if possible?

I see a LOT of people havin probs with their spec 3, and that was my first pick

HELP! I need a clutch soon, its startin to get real bad.

Last edited by Evil98RT; 12-17-2004 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I realise you need it now, but check out www.exedy.com.au they make 6 paddle,ceramic etc. The Aussies don't seem to have any worries with breakages. There are a few others over there also.