Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAC Midlength Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 10:30 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAC Midlength Questions?

Im A newbie and im purchasing Mac midlengths and want to try and put them on myself! Is there a site where i can read a step by step instruction to installing these and a y-pipe?? Also, do the Mac's all come coated? Where do i need to grind to make more flow? Do i need gaskets?? If i grind them, will i need to have them coated again? Please help me out! Thank you
Old 11-18-2004, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GAME OVER
Im A newbie and im purchasing Mac midlengths and want to try and put them on myself! Is there a site where i can read a step by step instruction to installing these and a y-pipe?? Also, do the Mac's all come coated? Where do i need to grind to make more flow? Do i need gaskets?? If i grind them, will i need to have them coated again? Please help me out! Thank you
Do a search for " Mac Install"..

I'm not sure if all the Macs come coated. I'm sure you have the option to buy them coated or uncoated just like all other headers.

I don't think that you grind anything if I remember correctly alot of people remove the ball flange to get better air flow. If the mod is done carefully, you should be able to weld a regular flange on there without doing too much damage to the coating.

Header gaskets: post people just reuse the stockers. They're made to be reused. Multi-layer metal gaskets. Just stay away from the paper gaskets if that's what they come with.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe that they do come coated and that there is no option for non-coated. For a little bit more power, grind down the welds where the primaries attach to the flange. The weld is excess and blocks some flow.

Like he said, use the stock gaskets, and many people end up having the ball flanges on the headers cut off for regular 3-bolt 3" flanges. Thats something the exhaust shop can do.