Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

radiator maint. and capacity levels question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radiator maint. and capacity levels question

i have searched and found lots on dex cool and flushes, but my question is when the engine in cold , i look into my radiator and its like half empty. i know this isnt right, should it be topped off while cold and to what level. i am sorry if this is a repost, i do not have an owners manual, thanks,
Old 11-21-2004, 02:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by golddot
i have searched and found lots on dex cool and flushes, but my question is when the engine in cold , i look into my radiator and its like half empty. i know this isnt right, should it be topped off while cold and to what level. i am sorry if this is a repost, i do not have an owners manual, thanks,

anyone?
Old 11-21-2004, 03:28 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

put as much in it as will fit if you put "too much", which you wont, it will always flow into the overflow.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by golddot
well, while it won't kill you (immediately) to run low coolant levels (depends) the idea of having an overflow resevoir is so that if you do need a little extra (like you're burning some off or leaking a bit) you have it...

You're intuition is correct though, I wouldn't run it like that... there's 2 lines on the dipstick of your coolant resevoir... one for the resevoir level when hot, and one for cold... I normally bleat out the system to the return line and then fill till whichever of those lines i'm supposed to be at (normally hot, makes filling the motor at lot faster... )