Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My WRX verse some LS1s

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My WRX verse some LS1s

SO i had a pretty good night of racing and i was EXTREMEMLY happy with how my car did. When reading keep in mind that im at 7k feet. My car has engine management and a turbo back exhaust. It dynoed on a dyno jet 241awhp and 260awtq SAE corrected. Sorry long.

It was an awesome night for racing....well until it started snowing halfway through the night...but then it was still pretty good.

First race was against a Firebird Formula...looked to be around a 98 or 99. It was stock and the thing looked like it was taken care of very well but anyway. We went from a dig and i beat him by about 2 cars to 70 or 80 i would say. He had 3 people in his car and i was by myself. He said i pulled harder on him than STIs he had raced but then again some ppl dont have the launching on the STI perfect.

Second race i was trying to get a z28 to run with me but the guy was no game...i guess either he wasnt in the mood or he saw the wagon and thought nothing of it. Anyway as im teasing this guy a black Transam Firehawk comes up and passes us...so i catch up with him as fast i can and we are now at the front of all the traffic with lots of open road ahead. Needless to say we started in 2nd and went until i was at the top of 4th about to shift to 5th then i shut down. Not sure when he shut down but he was goin at it. His lights were at my rear bumper maybe a half car further back...not too far. The further we would have gone i think he would have started gaining but we were coming up on an intersection so we shut down. His exhaust looked stock so im guessing his car is stock since i beat him. The kid goes to my school and my friend knows of him but doesnt know his name so we'll find out whats up. He had at least 1 passanger i couldnt see in the back cause of tinted windows and again i was alone.

Then the rainy snow started coming but it wasnt too bad out. Me and my friend with the STI raced a bunch. He is stock. From a dig i beat him everytime. I had more gas in my tank but not accounting for that we were about equal weight we are guessing. Part of the problem was he wasnt getting as good of launches and reactions as me that night. Also he is on the STI tires while im on all-season falkens which with the wet road prolly made a difference since we were both spinning a little tire in first. From a roll it came down to whoever hit the peddle first if he did he beat me if i did i beat him although he always beat me by more than i woudl be him. Except one time i went down into first when we were going btwn 15-20mph and he stayed in second then i beat him pretty bad with the quick jump out front.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

nice kills...nice cars too. what do you do if you don't mind me asking.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mongoose
nice kills...nice cars too. what do you do if you don't mind me asking.
Thanks! Im in the Air Force.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

Altitude is a killer at 7k feet for N/A engines. Im at 5k and run 14s (with mods in sig) Nice kills though. It seems like you're a pretty good driver if you're able to take out an STi. Tell your buddy he needs to learn the ropes.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ~RedLineLs1~
Altitude is a killer at 7k feet for N/A engines. Im at 5k and run 14s (with mods in sig) Nice kills though. It seems like you're a pretty good driver if you're able to take out an STi. Tell your buddy he needs to learn the ropes.

Yeah i def. know what altitude can do...with my 86 vette at the track i only managed a 15.1 and while the 86s werent that fast they werent THAT slow. The track was just above 5k feet i think. Thats why i love my wrx the turbo does soooo much up here.

He's an alright driver but could be better...and my car has just a little less HP than his STI anyway so its not that surprising...but surprising none the less.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

good kills
Old 11-22-2004, 10:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

nice!
Old 11-22-2004, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good kill

How does the WRX run versus that LS2 i see in your sig?

-Todd
Old 11-22-2004, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
Good kill

How does the WRX run versus that LS2 i see in your sig?

-Todd
Well to tell you the truth i dont have the c6 yet im taking delivery late next week or early the following week but figured it was close enough to have it in the sig. It's already done it just has to get shipped. And i would expect them to not even be close in comparison but there will still be the fun of the AWD and the turbo. The big difference will be in torque. The wrx at 260 and the vette at 360. Ill post a review when i get it in a week or so.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

What does a wrx trap at with 260 AWHP
Old 11-22-2004, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
What does a wrx trap at with 260 AWHP
Thats 260awtq...my hp is 241 and it should trap around 103-104
Old 11-22-2004, 11:57 AM
TECH Resident

sweet, nice cars by the way. I see you can drive those things too. Not many can drive wagon, let alone a sport wagon.

What rank? I have to ask because of the cars you have, hehe. At least you have good taste.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
sweet, nice cars by the way. I see you can drive those things too. Not many can drive wagon, let alone a sport wagon.

What rank? I have to ask because of the cars you have, hehe. At least you have good taste.
huh?
Old 11-22-2004, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Thanks...gotta love the wagon.

2Lt.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by unit213
huh?
I was being sarcastic about driving. Many can't drive regular cars let alone a sports car, hehe. As for the rank, I was curious, since he was driving a 50/60k car and a 27k wrx. I just looked at one for the family mobile. I wanted something with some pep in a 4 door.

Oh and he's a second leut, decent pay. He's got some brains.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:21 PM
Teching In

I was being sarcastic about driving. Many can't drive regular cars let alone a sports car, hehe. As for the rank, I was curious, since he was driving a 50/60k car and a 27k wrx. I just looked at one for the family mobile. I wanted something with some pep in a 4 door.

Oh and he's a second leut, decent pay. He's got some brains.
Bought the WRX used...i got it in july 04 for 17,900. It is an 03 with 25k miles. All in all it was a really good deal. I recommend going used when it comes to the wrx so if you want want for the family car check out the market.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:22 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

You walked a firehawk with 240 hp?

From a second gear roll?
Old 11-22-2004, 04:38 PM
Teching In

The thing about it is he is up in elevation i dont know about your car but when i take my car to tahoe it feels like it lost half the hp :dunno:
Old 11-22-2004, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by z98
You walked a firehawk with 240 hp?

From a second gear roll?
Didnt walk....beat....and its 240 to the wheels...and i am at 7000feet.

Edit to my above post: just got a call from the dealer looks like ill be getting my car on Wednesday....i dont have to wait till next week.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

Nice runs, man altitude must make a huge difference I raced my friends modded WRX when I was stock from a roll and it was like he was in reverse.