Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porting question/ stroker

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porting question/ stroker

A local shop has quoted me $500 dollars to clean up & port my stock heads on the TA. Is this a good price? Dunno what they'd flow though since i dont think they have a flow bench. they claim to have done several LT1/LS1 heads and stroker kits which i believe he said was only another $1500-$1800 dollars. Fair price you think?
Old 11-22-2004, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fair price for what...do you know what your paying for...too much hogging isnt good either.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

He basically said bring them up to what other companies call stage 1 heads. Still retain stock valves but port intake/ exhaust sides, add new springs, etc etc. I dunno jack bout porting heads. Guess if i got some they would be TEA or Patriot fully assembled w/ all the goodies
Old 11-22-2004, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Any price at or above 500 bucks(no more than 800) with stock valves including machine work is reasonable price wise from a local machine shop, that is what I basically do myself for people. The main thing is to check out their rep around there on simular set ups. Do your research and see what you find out. Enterprise is in lower Alabama down toward Mobile right?
Old 11-22-2004, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Yes e-prise is bout 3hrs due east of mobile. They have any excellent rep except for the time it takes them to do stuff. One guys LS1 heads sat there 3 weeks untouched but when he finally called about it they got it done in 1 or 2 days. They mostly build engines w/ the parts all ready supplied to them but do other stuff etc etc on the side. They are in the readers rides section of of one of the lastest mags like hod rod, carcraft, SC, or CHP that says Backwoods Pro-mods. Its Piltcher Automotive
Old 11-23-2004, 01:08 AM
On The Tree

Ryan, Johnny really knows his stuff about porting. Yes, Jeremy did have to wait on his heads, but they stay busy at the shop, I've been by when they're working until 1 am, and that happens pretty often. Just explain to him that you need it done asap, and keep in touch with him. They have a flow bench in the shop I know for sure. Johnny does excellent work, and to perfection.
I was sorry to hear about your accident, I hope you're recovering well.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:56 AM
TECH Addict

No doubt he knows his stuff. Im glad to hear they have a flow bench. Do you know how much his ls1 heads flow, like jeremys for example and what was done to them. Also, do you know if johnny is still interested in my LS1motor outta my wreck99z w/ 4l60-e Thanks for your concern about me, im hangin in there. I wanna make it out there but i guess time will tell with the healing process. Is there anyway to contact them by e-mail?
Old 11-24-2004, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

I have no clue how much his heads flow, Jeremy only had his milled with a valve job, no porting done, so he didnt have them flowed. I havent seen nor talked to Johnny in months, so i really dont know. As for the e-mail, I dont think they have one for the shop, and I dont know a personal e-mail for him. I've heard you were planning on taking the new set up on your car to the track as soon as you are able to, I'm interested in how its gonna do.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Prolly gonna take to the track in chi-town as soon as they are done w/ the turbo assuming im better then which i should be cuz doc told me yesterday that im not gonna need surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!