New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to School to be Mechanic, INPUT?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 12:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to School to be Mechanic, INPUT?

Hi everyone, I have been a member of this site for a good year now. I am going to school to be a mechanic at JCJC in MS. Anyone who has been to school for this that wishes they would or would not have taken something? I am excited about going but wondering what I should take specifically. I want to be able to do all this high performance work myself in the end. Thanks a lot.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best school I went to for high performance work was in my front yard. I worked on my car myself and gained experience while doing it.

I am not sure about what mechanic schools offer though. Name some of the classes in that school if you could.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:47 AM
TECH Veteran

I'm going to UTI next year, and after I graduate I'll have 8 ASE certifications, which will qualify me as a master certified technician. I will be looking to make at least $25 an hour to start off. You just have to be willing to move, 'cause there's not always work where you are located, unfortunately. After school, I might do a STEP program with VW or Porsche, so then I'll be looking at between $75K-$100K per year! It helps to know people too, though! I can't wait. I'm sick of sitting on my ***.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:10 AM
TECH Veteran

JackZ28 has a good point.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:41 AM
Staging Lane

i am going to school for auto after i finish this last year of high school.

i took auto in high school for 3 years. our highschool is huge, we have 4 buildings and 5,500 kids in it. so we got a ton of auto schools that came to our auto class and gave us their speech of why we should go to their schools.

the same ones came every year so we got to know some stuff about the school.

uti was one of them. it is a good school, but it is pretty expensive....over 20k for 2 years. its a pretty fast paces, in and out thing. no degree offered if you want to become more than a technician in the future. due to fast pace classes a lot of people have to take some sections over again to get their ASE certifications. they do have that hot-rod-u program for high performance like you were asking for. i have heard from a lot of people that this is not exactly what it is advertised as. it is more of a chasis building class. it is a very good school and you will get a lot out of it. the STEP programs are nice, hard to get into but nice. just know what you want.

another really good school that came to us was university of northwestern ohio. its in lima ohio. i liked this school a lot more actualy. its really nice with up to date everything. it offers a degree program if you want to get one....or your credits from this school will actually transfer to other schools if you want to go somewhere else to get the degree to do something on more of the business end later on or whatever. UTI credits dont transfer since its not a university, its a trade school. i dont really know what else to say about this school, but i like it....lol. oh yeah. its a lot cheaper to go here, i think they are non profit with tuition. but it was a LOT cheaper. it is also a slower pace school. i have 2 friends that go here and they love it

both are awsome schools and you will be happy at either, but there are somedifferences in style and options. i personaly think uti is not all it is cracked up to be, that it is more of a marketing thing....that this school is COOL and for HOT RODDERS. my auto teacher did visit uti and he said it was really nice tho.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:33 AM
TECH Veteran

The GI Bill will be covering all my expenses, so I'm fortunate enough to not have to worry about cost!
Old 12-01-2004, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

You might consider Wyoming Tech, they have a great Hot Rod program, with fabrication and other specialties. Everything is computer related these days with all the body control modules and LAN & class 2 data tied together, so make sure you get a good background in electrical/electronics diagnosis and troubleshooting. Good certified techs can make $100,000 plus.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:11 AM
Staging Lane

have you considered working on deisl engines? they are more in demand than regular auto techs and are making more money. just something to consider.

personally i am going into being an auto tech myself. i think i am just going to go to henry ford community college in detroit tho. i live in michigan and would be able to stay at home.....as much as i would like to move out, staying home has a ton of benifits. get a 2 year degree in automotive technologies or something. that way im not just cetified i will also have a degree, so if i want to persue something else.....like get into the GM test center where they work on the things that will be on cars in 5-8 years. my dad got offered that job a while back. nice slower paced and bigger salery. keep my options open
Old 12-01-2004, 01:21 PM
10 Second Club

Just because you go to UTI does not mean you will automatically get ASE certified. Youi still have to go to a normal ASE testing site and take them. I went to UTI in Glendale Heights and took all 8 ASE's about halfway through school and only got 6 questions wrong between 8 tests. I just took recert's on the 18 and the L1(the worst test possible). I am working for Ford now as a prototype mechanic. Some people can make 75-100k a year as a mechanic but most only make 35-50k
Old 12-01-2004, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

i had planned to go to tech school after high school to be either a mechanic or autobody, but i fell in love with a damn woman and followed her to college where i instead majored in graphic design.

even tho i have no real regrets (other than wasting my time with that damn woman...) i still look back and kinda wish i had went to a tech school.

so, my advice is if you want to do it, do it. just try to get a job someplace warm all year round 'cause working under a car thats all icey and dripping on you aint no fun.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1BADAIR
Just because you go to UTI does not mean you will automatically get ASE certified. Youi still have to go to a normal ASE testing site and take them. I went to UTI in Glendale Heights and took all 8 ASE's about halfway through school and only got 6 questions wrong between 8 tests. I just took recert's on the 18 and the L1(the worst test possible). I am working for Ford now as a prototype mechanic. Some people can make 75-100k a year as a mechanic but most only make 35-50k
Duh! Just because you go to college doesn't mean you'll get a degree either!
Old 12-01-2004, 07:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1BADAIR

I wish I had the figures handy that a lot of the trade magazines quote but a tech that "knows" how to fix cars(great drivability skills, can diag OBDII problems, plus can do the gravy,brakes/general repair. can make a **** load more than 35K. I manage a fast lube & tech center in Ga. and the "good/best" techs in our organization make 55-65K. The # of quailfied techs per car on the road shrink every year...think about it.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

I went to UTI phoenix/ Hot Rod and BMW STEP. You will learn just the basic things at UTI. What i learned in STEP was soooo far beyond what i was taught at UTI. ASE certifications mean nothing when your working for a high end manufacturer (BMW, Mercedes, Porsche). They have no effect on your pay scale and are a total waste of time to take. I am a ASE master tech and a BMW certified diagnostic technician, BMW could care less about ASE certs. Don't count on making 25ph to start. If your good you will work your way up to there. More like $18 to start. Like a dealership is going to pay a kid right out of school with no brand specific experience 25ph. What you make yearly will be based on your skill and effeciency, if your slow you may make 25-35g per year. I work with 2 guys making over 100g per year right now. I'm now 21 and have worked for BMW for almost 2 years and should make right around 70g this year. But there are techs. i work with that have been there for 5 plus years making 35-45g. All depends on how effecient you are.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

Is good grades in High School required to get into UTI..cuz i slackd off all through highschool..and my average GPA was 2.5 but in all my welding classes i had 90's + the whole time...i just hate hitting the books especially if it doesnt interest me in high school if all my classes would of been car related i woulda had a 4.0..Just wandering my chances of getting into UTI...with shitty grades through high school..i will get my diploma though ....but all my Shop Classes were 90's +...
Old 12-01-2004, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

i took auto classes in high school and went to UTI. My roomate went to BMW STEP. I worlk at an infiniti dealer and have been there for about a year now and make $30,000 a year about. grades are not that huge of a deal to UTI they really want your money so just shmooze the rep during your interview....my grades werent top notch eather.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Your grades while @ UTI need to be like 3.5gpa or better if you want to get into a grad. program. I know you need at least a 3.5 for BMW to even talk to you, not sure about the others.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

NO i don't mean @ i mean do i need certain High School Ending GPA to get in?..

for instance the CIA requires a 3.5 High School GPA to get in i already looked...I can't get in
Old 12-01-2004, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

UTI is pretty flexible who they let in. I dont' even think they asked me for my HS gpa.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

thats good..i think im goin to the one in Phoenix if they let me in ..i wonder if i gotta...get a tag for my car for Arizona>>if i do go there :S
Old 12-01-2004, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

you won't need a tag, i think the phoenix campus may have built a new facility since i've grad.