Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stainless Works Exhaust Done.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 07:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainless Works Exhaust Done.

First, let me commend all the folks at Stainless Works / Classic Autoworks for a wonderful experience. Everyone from the owner to the office staff was extremely helpful and accomodating.

The GTO was outfitted with headers, RT high flow cats, and a 3" exhaust built to my specification. The changes were proposed as an alternative to their chambered muffler setup, which is more along the lines of a full race muffler with commensurate increase in volume. Al Noe suggested the muffler design, and I handed him the keys.

The volume is right on the money for me. Modestly louder than a fully broken in stock system, but nothing that's going to get me a ticket or dirty looks from the neighbors. I can tell it suits me well, because as I drove it for the first time, I couldn't decide if it was too loud or not loud enough. Hmmmm. Must be just right.

The tone is very pleasing to me. A deeper, more pronounced rumble than stock. Accelerating, it has a more definite pitch to it, but extremely even throughout the RPM range. No "hot spots" at certain RPM or load conditions. Cruising with the windows up, you can tell it's there, but no hint of "drone." I didn't have to raise the radio volume or speak any louder than normal. There's a tad more sound from the engine bay, which is normal for headers vs. cast iron manifolds. However, when I stand on it, it commands your attention, but never gets "splatty" or out of control. When pulling in to pick up a pizza, one bystander commented: "I heard ya comin', nice car."

Tech wise, I need a tune now. Average O2 voltage is up almost 200 millivolts. Nearly 600 mV at cruise. Definitely rich, as expected. The battery was disconnected for the install, but I'm not sure if that resets the PCM by itself. Idle is a bit faster, with injector duty cycle at 3% against original 2%. Oddly, coolant temp is up about 3-4 degrees at speed. Hmmmm. Update after a complete drive cycle.
The rich mixture and improved booty squish tell me the system is doing exactly what it's supposed to.

All in all, I couldn't be happier. Al has every intention of making the system available to the public, and I can unhesitatingly recommend Stainless Works for their fine workmanship and first class customer service.

Apologies for the scanned photos. They will be replaced ASAP. Sound clips forthcoming as soon as I get the chance to record them.
Attached Thumbnails Stainless Works Exhaust Done.-muffscan1.jpg   Stainless Works Exhaust Done.-muffscan2.jpg   Stainless Works Exhaust Done.-tipscrop_1.jpg  
Old 12-02-2004, 09:02 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks really nice man, that's the first time I've seen the underside of a GTO. Looks like a lot more room to fit stuff than with an F-bod.

I've heard good things about Stainless Works as well, and looks like it was true. Sounds like you had a really good experience!

Steve
Old 12-02-2004, 09:16 AM
TECH Resident

Everything looks great!

I'm sure it was fairly expensive but it sounds/looks like it was very much worth it.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good...can't wait to hear the sound clips!

BTW...I love your sig quote!
Old 12-02-2004, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

It wasn't cheap, but this car is a keeper. I felt I recieved good value for money spent. Even the packing in the mufflers is stainless wool. It should last virtually forever. I haven't spent much time under Fbods, but the layout under the GTO seems OK to me. The only issue might be doing rear end or driveline work (inevitable with the GTO), but they used slip fittings with nice heavy band clamps, so temporarily pulling something apart shouldn't be a real big deal.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:23 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by mistermike
It wasn't cheap, but this car is a keeper. I felt I recieved good value for money spent. Even the packing in the mufflers is stainless wool. It should last virtually forever. I haven't spent much time under Fbods, but the layout under the GTO seems OK to me. The only issue might be doing rear end or driveline work (inevitable with the GTO), but they used slip fittings with nice heavy band clamps, so temporarily pulling something apart shouldn't be a real big deal.
That is important...I had to cut my exhaust on my SS when I did a clutch swap. I was not happy at all. My new exhaust will be easily droppable.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good deal, Al Noe and Ron are great folks to work with, even Ellen at the front desk. You do have a ton of room under there compared to us!
Old 12-02-2004, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Damn... that exhaust setup is clean...
I wish that our true duals fit as nicely...
Old 12-02-2004, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats beautiful man. i bet she sings real pretty, need some sound clips!
Old 12-02-2004, 05:19 PM
Sponsor

Mike

Thanks for the kind words-I am very glad that you are happy.

Anyone from the board is welcome to come by for a shop tour anytime. We are at 9899 East Washington Street, chagrin Falls, Oh 44023. Please call first because I do travel a fair amount for work. We are normally here 7:30-4:30, but I am almost always here until 6:30 or 7. We could also do a tour on Saturdays as we work some of them too (lately, a lot as we are lucky to be really busy).

Thanks
Al
Old 12-02-2004, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Man, I wish those were available a couple of years ago when I was in the market. I'll bet it didn't cost too much more than my set-up.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:48 PM
That's what she said...

looks mean!! first class system ya got there