Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blackwing Airbox Lid

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 06:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Blackwing Airbox Lid

Should I keep the blackwing lid on my car or would i be better off getting an aftermarket lid?
Old 12-13-2004, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

Most people will tell you (as will dyno tests) that a lid is a lid. The blackwing lid will be as good as any other one you could buy. The only reason to switch would be if you want a clear/carbon fiber/etc. type of lid.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

My opinion is that the blackwing is the best lid to have. All the advantages of a high-flow lid, plus it was designed to flow air over the MAF the way the stock lid does (which is why it is different than other aftermarket lids), and this keeps your trims right. Keep it.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't like the rough transition it made from the lid to the MAF, but didn't notice any diffrence when I swapped to a aftermarket lid. I see no reason for you to pay more money unless you were getting a 85mm lid/maf combo and a dyno tune.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

It looses like 4hp over a performance lid like MTI, or even SLP aftermarket lid,
Old 12-18-2004, 06:46 PM
TECH Junkie

There was considerable testing and engineering done on this piece by SLP. It's a proven piece. I have one on my '02 SS. I've tried the stock filter, a K&N filter, a VaraRam race filter, and NO filter in the lid. Also tried the "pantyhose" mod, where a portion of a pantyhose leg is stretched over the filter-holding "box" instead of filter being installed in it. There was NO significant 1/4 mile difference w/any of these filters. No filter and pantyhose mod netted .02-.04 better e.t.'s. My car runs very consistent low 12.3's and 1.67 sixties. I don't think the Blackwing lid is any better than any of the other aftermarket lids--or any worse. However, they all are better than the stock lids. Although un-wise, running no filter, or the pantyhose mod, did show a slight gain w/everything else constant. You are taking a big chance running no air filter, especially on a dusty track day, and w/ramair setups (such as mine) that are way down low in front of the airdam. Hope this helps someone....WJ

Quick Reply: Blackwing Airbox Lid