Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some advice, kinda tricky

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 04:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some advice, kinda tricky

well i woulda loved to have done tru duals with turn downs but my father put a stop to that.. i have mac mids, and a ofy and cutout, but must keep cutout closed and flow thru the b&b catback which flows good but the muffler sucks and it still quieter then a flowmaster with cats and manifolds it seems.. now if i had my way i would not even be in this situation but its not that simple.
mind you the catback hasn't had exhuast run thru it in about 8 months since i put the cutout on with the stock manifolds and cats.. i liked the level of sound, and almost wish i hadnt got headers now b/c of my shitty catback...

so can i swap out just the muffler?

or should i consider welding a muffler like a bullet before the cutout? would be a hard fit! something just to tone down the rattling sound it produces b/t 2500-4000rpms...??

ne suggestions? and sorrry, cut off the catback and add x pipe aint gonna fly until another year or so..
Old 12-24-2004, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

A muffler only swap is actually the most common exhaust mod on a F-body. There are many diferent brands of mufflers to choose from. Flowmaster is the most common, and most contoversial, brand. It sounds good but some people say it is too quiet.
As for adding a bullet, I can't help you with that one as I have never tried it. I do think you will have a ground clearance problem though.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Magnaflow Muffler is a relativly loud one (I have the cat-back...I love it). It should just bolt right in. It also is one of the best flowing mufflers out there so even with the cut-outs closed, you won't be losing all that much.

Putting mufflers before the cut-out would almost ruin the point of a the cut-out; even the bullet ones. JMO.

Good luck!

-Todd
Old 12-25-2004, 12:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go on LS1SOUNDS.com find an exhaust you like then buy just the muffler and have it welded in.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you ever though about the TSP rumbler, its a good price, and should be right around the sound your looking for?
Old 12-25-2004, 07:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z-286speed
Have you ever though about the TSP rumbler, its a good price, and should be right around the sound your looking for?
yea the rumbler sounds really good for the price, luvmeZ28 put it on his car. it sounds like the loudmouth, just not as raspy.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:37 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The B&B actually doesn't flow all too well.

It does sound nice though, but that's just my opinion.