Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

What is the best way to race my car from a roll?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 11:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is the best way to race my car from a roll?

Mods in sig, most importantly the ST 3500 stall converter. I am wondering what the best way to race from 60 mph is...

1.) Go from overdrive just like normal driving, and punch it when its time to go...

2.) Drop it down to second and wait for it to catch, then wait for the go...

If I am racing a ricer (turbo) that has good top end pull, what should I be doing from a 60 roll? Should I make the race at slower speeds, say 35? or lower?

I raced my buddies SRT-4 from a 60 roll last night up to about 100mph and he pulled on me (I was at his car door) but It just doesnt feel right. I tried the 2nd gear pull and it felt a lot stronger. I run him at the track all the time, I run about 7.6 in the 1/8th and he runs low 9s or high high 8s every time.

Any info would be greatly appreciated... Im putting on my ls6 intake today maybe that will help...
Old 12-27-2004, 11:27 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have an auto. You have sticky tires. You have a higher stall convertor. Why in the hell are you racing from a roll? Either get him from a dig, or do a low enough roll so that you kick down into first. If he can't launch his front wheel drive car, that's his problem. That's why you'll never see a front wheel drive top fuel dragster. If he bitches about the conditions, tell him he should have bought an Evo or STi.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbo cars do alot better from a roll.. 3rd gear most seem to pull real hard (More time to build boost) Try and get him from a dig or a slower roll.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

I agree with everyone else, you should only be rolling up to the starting line to race from a dig. You built your car to go from a dig so run it from one.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:30 AM
Teching In

With a converter and gears, I would think you'd have some sweet spots that should work well from a roll. For example, with me a 40 mph roll kicks in pretty hard ... all I do is floor it. There are several other good spots, and I stick to those if I go from a roll. ... I just have to be mindful.

Going from a stop obviously gives the biggest advantage with a T/C if traction is no problem.

You're playing the turbo car to its strength from a higher speed roll ... I would avoid that.