Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VE tuning question (HPTuners)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VE tuning question (HPTuners)

I have HP Tuners, was doing VE tuning yesterday.

I disconnected the MAF and started logging.

I found my car wasn't running off of the primary VE Table, but using the secondary. After a few hours I got my LTFTs pretty close using the adjustments on the secondary table, it was late, called it a day.

I transposed the secondary to the primary, evened it out (secondary has half the resolution as the primary), smoothed it, plugged MAF back in, LTFTs rose about 4, putting me around +2/+3 from -2/-1/0.

How are you guys able to tune using the primary VE table?
Thanks

Ben
Old 01-03-2005, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Primary is only for the 01-02 cars. Sounds like you got pretty good results...Now just Scale the MAF table by 4% and you do some more driving and logging. You might have to scale it some more once the trims settle in.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Ben,

I was getting ready to try this procedure that WS6snake-eater has outlined too and was wondering how do you determine in HP Tuners what VE table it's using at the time, primary or secondary? Where does it show that info?
Old 01-03-2005, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HavATampa
Hey Ben,

I was getting ready to try this procedure that WS6snake-eater has outlined too and was wondering how do you determine in HP Tuners what VE table it's using at the time, primary or secondary? Where does it show that info?
If you're in SD mode, it will reference the secondary VE... (SD mode = MAF fail mode) Either unplug the MAF, or set MAIL fail frequency to zero!
Old 01-03-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your software is showing a 2ndary table then that is the one use. If you do not have a 2ndary then you use the primary. Just remeber to copy the info from the 2ndary to the primary and fill in the blanks, before plugging the MAF back in.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I found out by realizing that changing the primary wasn't doing anything... what really sucks is that the primary VE table goes by 5's, the secondary goes by 10s.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bombguy99z28
I found out by realizing that changing the primary wasn't doing anything... what really sucks is that the primary VE table goes by 5's, the secondary goes by 10s.
Then I guess I have been wasting the last two days of my time! Since my car is a 2000, then I use the secondary table? Then once that is done, then copy the secondary to the primary? Damn, I thought I knew what I was doing!
Old 01-03-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not sure, all I know is that small changes will show in your LTFTs... I changed some of mine by like 20 and nothing changed in the LTFTs, thats how I discovered that I had to use the secondary table.

Originally Posted by tomaSS
Then I guess I have been wasting the last two days of my time! Since my car is a 2000, then I use the secondary table? Then once that is done, then copy the secondary to the primary? Damn, I thought I knew what I was doing!
Old 01-03-2005, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bombguy99z28
I'm not sure, all I know is that small changes will show in your LTFTs... I changed some of mine by like 20 and nothing changed in the LTFTs, thats how I discovered that I had to use the secondary table.
i had to change mine by almost 30 units to get mine in line, at least for low rpm, low MAP values...

But yes, when you are in SD mode, the VCM reference secondary, when the MF is functioning and plugged in, it will reference the Main... tune with the secondary and copy back to the main and derive averages for the missing rows... I posted an excel calculator in another thread in here is you just want to download it!
Old 01-03-2005, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

You need to tune your MAF table. Your VE changes don't override your MAF table, and any intake changes (MAF porting, lid, etc.) will throw off your MAF table. So your trims could be dead-on in your VE table, and the MAF table will still say you are lean because of unreported air.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Another_User
You need to tune your MAF table. Your VE changes don't override your MAF table, and any intake changes (MAF porting, lid, etc.) will throw off your MAF table. So your trims could be dead-on in your VE table, and the MAF table will still say you are lean because of unreported air.
So once my VE table is correct then I scale the MAF Table? I am confused because some people scale the MAF Table, some scale the IFR Table and some just say to change the VE Tables. I think the more I read, the more I am confused! I guess there are many ways to tune a car. I just don't know which way to go.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tomaSS
So once my VE table is correct then I scale the MAF Table? I am confused because some people scale the MAF Table, some scale the IFR Table and some just say to change the VE Tables. I think the more I read, the more I am confused! I guess there are many ways to tune a car. I just don't know which way to go.
There is no reason to change your IFR table if your injectors are stock. The actual problem is changing the flow of air across your MAF causes unmetered air to get past it. The table is tuned to your specific stock intake, and any changes affect it. You could probably get by with scaling it to as close to 0 as possible. You can set the MAF fail frequency to 0 and that will fail your MAF allowing you to log dynamic air (speed density calculate airflow) and MAF frequency at the same time, match up the two, and input the new values in your MAF table. That will be more time consuming, but more accurate in the long run. I still have not seen anybody test to make sure that works though...and I don't feel like blowing the dust off my MAF to try it out.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Another_User
yes sorry, true about the MAF, I missed the part where he said he plugged it back in!
Old 01-03-2005, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Ok, thanks, that makes sense. Don't feel bad tomaSS, there's a lot of members in the Confused Club, I am one of them. But the more I read on here and the more questions I get answered, the less confused I feel.

Originally Posted by txhorns281
If you're in SD mode, it will reference the secondary VE... (SD mode = MAF fail mode) Either unplug the MAF, or set MAIL fail frequency to zero!

Quick Reply: VE tuning question (HPTuners)