Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuners Secondary VE Table for 98-00

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP Tuners Secondary VE Table for 98-00

Ok guys, I came up with a little calculator to convert your secondary VE into a working Main VE for when you plug your MAFs back after SD Tuning... All ya do is paste your secondary into the table below and it pumps out a Main table that you can copy and paste back into the the editor! I verified it by putting my stock Secondary into it and the Main VE Table it gave me was no more than 1 unit off for the whole table! Most of the table was dead on...

BTW, when adjusting the secondary VE, make sure you are using the correct respective MAP values from your histogram! Remember, the Secondary VE does not use x5 (ie. 15,25,35,45) values, only x0 (ie. 20,30,40,50) This calculator will create your x5 cells and complete the resolution!

A little something for us 98-00 guys!

Download ME!!!
Old 01-03-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool, thanks for sharing
Old 01-03-2005, 06:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I went about it the other way for my '98. Since the histogram shows the complete VE table, I mod the primary table in a spreadsheet, with another sheet containing the respective rows to the secondary.

To me it seemed more difficult to do it your way, but props for doing it
Old 01-03-2005, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks! I will try this once I make my changes from the lost log.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JimMueller
I went about it the other way for my '98. Since the histogram shows the complete VE table, I mod the primary table in a spreadsheet, with another sheet containing the respective rows to the secondary.

To me it seemed more difficult to do it your way, but props for doing it
well... i guess i could see it being difficult... I didn't do changes cell by cell though, i did chunks of similar behavior at a time on the histogram and really only spent a few minutes adjusting each tune... i got a great secondary that tuned out all the LTFTs in b/w -3 and 1, mostly zeros and -1s... and now that I'm ready to plug the MAF back in I just popped out a Main Table and now i'm ready to rock!
Old 01-03-2005, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is helpful for me because I'm not changing the primary table at all until I get my secondary table perfected. Once I finish cleaning up my secondary table, I'll just use his conversion and cut & paste...
Old 01-04-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bombguy99z28
This is helpful for me because I'm not changing the primary table at all until I get my secondary table perfected. Once I finish cleaning up my secondary table, I'll just use his conversion and cut & paste...
that's exactly what I was thinking, although some people have expressed confusion about this method. I'm not sure why you'd want to tune out the Primary first since in SD mode our cars only reference the Secondary... It seems more natural to me to dial in a secondary table that your car likes, and then derive a Primary table... and to get the missing rows for the Primary, all you gotta do is take averages of the upper and lower rows that bound them... Study your stock Primary VE and you'll see what I mean. The 105 kpa row was identical to the 100 row for me, and the 15 row is kinda a weird scaled down function of the 20 row. The rest are very very close averages. Makes for a very very smooth Primary VE as well!

SD Mode after 2 days of learning:

Secondary VE that I tuned out:

Now compare with the Primary VE that the calculator derived:

Not too shabby eh?
Old 01-04-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey man add some more VE to the upper map/rpm areas...You still got some red in there. The rest looks real good.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeh I kinda had a question about that... shouldn't i see a bunch of zeros at high rpm high MAP??? I'm pretty sure I was in PE mode at those cells since I was having a little WOT fun...
Old 01-04-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well if you followed the intructions in my sticky, then you disabled PE for the purpose of tuning VE...It needs to be re-enabled after you are done. It gets kinda sketchy in the upper RPM/MAP regions, that's why I prefer the WB method. The LTFT method is good up to about 4000 rpm.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:37 PM
FormerVendor

We arent modding the primary first. It is easier to do both at the same time. Since the scanner outputs the whole primary table we work on that first and in the same sitting mod the secondary ve table. Both tables are worked on simultaneously primary first and then the "10" cells copied to the secondary table...
Old 01-04-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6snake-eater
Well if you followed the intructions in my sticky, then you disabled PE for the purpose of tuning VE...It needs to be re-enabled after you are done. It gets kinda sketchy in the upper RPM/MAP regions, that's why I prefer the WB method. The LTFT method is good up to about 4000 rpm.
did you mention to disable PE for the narrowband method???? I don't see it... I assumed that when in PE mode, all the trims zeroed out since there was noe "learning" going on... My histogram is showing Lean Trimming at WOT which is what I'm confused about??? If i have PE mode enabled, I should just see zeroes right??? not the 4s and 5s I see...

Last edited by txhorns281; 01-04-2005 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

No if PE is disabled you will see what is really going on with the trims... I hope I didn't leave out that step...I'm going to go look at it.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HumpinSS
We arent modding the primary first. It is easier to do both at the same time. Since the scanner outputs the whole primary table we work on that first and in the same sitting mod the secondary ve table. Both tables are worked on simultaneously primary first and then the "10" cells copied to the secondary table...
Relax guy... sorry I found an easy way for me to tune my car.. Just wanted to share... I mean there's not one "end all" method of tuning... After I figured out I needed to use the secondary, i got my trims inline in a couple of hours and they were way off to begin with...

I bet you both our methods net basically the same effect so there's no real need to discredit anything here. It's a valid way to do this...

The only thing that I'm skeptical about is using the histogram to change the Primary VE first. The data the histogram reports is based entirely off the secondary VE table and just because you can't adjust the x5 rows on it doesn't mean the VCM doesn't calculate the missing values... I mean it probably takes the average of the bounding rows anyway since when smoothing the secondary, it's going to be a rough 50-50 transition between data rows...

If you were to take a stock Primary VE and use the respective Secondary rows to build the secondary table, it looks practically identical to the Primary anyway... The only difference b/w what I did and what you did is that you tuned out all your x5 rows while in the process, whereas I waited till the end and came up with averages to create x5 rows, which is what the VCM orignally does anyway... all my excel sheet does is do some math, it's not magic or anything...

I'm not trying to stir **** up here or say that all you experienced tuners are wrong, I'm certainly no expert myself, I just thought that this would offer another way of doing things... no harm in that right?
Old 01-04-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6snake-eater
No if PE is disabled you will see what is really going on with the trims... I hope I didn't leave out that step...I'm going to go look at it.
well that's what I'm saying... I do indeed have PE enabled so I shouldn't be seeing trims above 4K right??? But yet we see them in the above posted pics... So what does that mean???
Old 01-04-2005, 03:37 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by txhorns281
Relax guy... sorry I found an easy way for me to tune my car.. Just wanted to share... I mean there's not one "end all" method of tuning... After I figured out I needed to use the secondary, i got my trims inline in a couple of hours and they were way off to begin with...

I bet you both our methods net basically the same effect so there's no real need to discredit anything here. It's a valid way to do this...

The only thing that I'm skeptical about is using the histogram to change the Primary VE first. The data the histogram reports is based entirely off the secondary VE table and just because you can't adjust the x5 rows on it doesn't mean the VCM doesn't calculate the missing values... I mean it probably takes the average of the bounding rows anyway since when smoothing the secondary, it's going to be a rough 50-50 transition between data rows...

If you were to take a stock Primary VE and use the respective Secondary rows to build the secondary table, it looks practically identical to the Primary anyway... The only difference b/w what I did and what you did is that you tuned out all your x5 rows while in the process, whereas I waited till the end and came up with averages to create x5 rows, which is what the VCM orignally does anyway... all my excel sheet does is do some math, it's not magic or anything...

I'm not trying to stir **** up here or say that all you experienced tuners are wrong, I'm certainly no expert myself, I just thought that this would offer another way of doing things... no harm in that right?

I wasnt being aggresive sorry if i came off that way

Last edited by HumpinSS; 01-04-2005 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:40 PM
FormerVendor

BTw what i did to get around all of this primary and secondary table BS was to jsut flash my PCM with an 01 bin now i only have one table to worry about
Old 01-04-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was being aggresive sorry if i came off that way
I'd rather than

Old 01-04-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

BTw what i did to get around all of this primary and secondary table BS was to jsut flash my PCM with an 01 bin now i only have one table to worry about
lol... now there's the ticket!
Old 01-04-2005, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by txhorns281
well that's what I'm saying... I do indeed have PE enabled so I shouldn't be seeing trims above 4K right??? But yet we see them in the above posted pics... So what does that mean???

OK got ya!... If PE is enabled and you are seeing the postive trims then you definatley need to add to the VE. I thought you had a wideband. Have you tried using the wideband method? It is really a whole lot better way of doing things.

Quick Reply: HP Tuners Secondary VE Table for 98-00