Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help diagnosing misfires

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 09:45 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need help diagnosing misfires

I am working on a 2000 4.8 truck for a buddy. It is bone stock and has 90,000 miles on it. Has been running perfect then all of a sudden it started missing pretty bad at idle and set a code 300. I hooked up the 'ol A-tap and set it up to watch current misfires on all 8 cyls at the same time and #2 and #7 were missing bad.

I have switched plug wires around, put in a new set of spark plugs, swapped the #2 and #4 injectors (the easiest to get to), and cleaned the MAF to no avail. The misfires are still showing up on #2 and #7. Is there some common thread that ties those 2 cyls together? I plan on doing a compression test next, but I dont expect to find anything wrong there. It runs fine at all times other than idle-no misfires indicated while driving, just at idle.

What am I overlooking?
Old 01-08-2005, 08:20 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to the top
Old 01-08-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm... only thing I can think of is... since 7 is at the back of the engine, and 2 is at the front... I wonder if they're both insynch w/the stroke (meaning both going up for compression stroke, down for combustion, up for exhaust, down for intake at the same time) ...

If that's the case... it could be a misfire on either 2 or 7 but the PCM wouldn't know maybe?

You've changed plugs, wires, and tried different injectors... only thing left is coil packs

I would put #7 coil pack on #1 and #2 coil pack on #8 and see if hte problem follows the coil packs

That doesn't rule out a valve issue though ... I think a bent valve or bad valve seal could cause a misfire? though if that was the case you'd notice some good oil consumption as well