Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Just got car back from Wallyworld! You'll never guess what happened.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got car back from Wallyworld! You'll never guess what happened.

I ordered a couple of tires off Ebay (cheaper) and went to Walmart to have them installed. When I picked the car up, I immediately noticed my driver's side fender bowed and uneven. Thanks to this sight, I learned a few years ago that this was a common problem for f-bodys caused by the hydraulic lift and by not placing the lift points in the proper place under the vehicle. They were going to just let me drive off. Maybe they didn't notice, but I sure as hell did! I know this has happened to quite a few others. I'm curious to hear other stories about this and what was done to resolve the problem. The manager told me to get a couple of estimates from body shops and we'll take it from there.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:03 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a 2x4, set it against the fender mount, then take a hammer or rubber mallet and bang it back into place or until your fender lines up again. If it was bent too far when they lifted on it, it might of caused the fender to crack/break off right there. In that case you will need a new fender, otherwise just use the 2x4 mod.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:54 PM
10 Second Club

same **** happened to my car (i put it up on the lift though so nobody to blame but myself). it is out maybe 1" right where the fender mounts to the frame by the passenger door.

i didn't look at it too closely, but i figured i could un bolt it and move it, now that i know i have to bend something back im a little more pissed. i didn't attempt to fix it yet (still waiting on a converter).

is this because the contact point of the lift was too close to the outside or what?
Old 01-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Ginger Hater

here's a post to another tech'r that had this exact same thing happen, except discount tire was responsible.

linkage
Old 01-08-2005, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's why I never go to wal-mart for anything car related. They let any average joe work on the cars.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:47 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

That's why I never go to wal-mart for anything car related. They let any average joe work on the cars.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by skewba98z28
Yeah, I should have known when she said "Camaro SS? Is that a 6 or 8 cylinder?".
Old 01-09-2005, 08:46 AM
TECH Regular

Default Fender lip, baaaad

Hi there, whoever jacks your F-bodys up, especially wallyworld, direct, tell and advise to "not put anything on these points at all when lifting". I went to a Chevy Dealer here in Las Vegas for an oil change and they denied that they did it. I had to go as far as reminding them that on my reciept, nothing was stated or noted to me that my fenders was aready pushed out. It took me 3 weeks to convinced that the service writer of my car that day, btw, never called in or showed for work after that, advised me of this. Even the service manager denied and told me it wasn't them. I had to ask another service writer who done great favors for me in the past on my SS, said he'll take care of it, just bring it in today. Keep in mine that I recently bought AR Rebels 17" (which did not fit because of the offset at 25 and backspacing 6" with my car slammed with sportlines) from DT and I had to stand there and tell them do not jack my car on those points. They had to use a floor jack on the middle of the car behind the trans. instead of the drive on jack. Also, be nice about it, you are the customer who is always right but. I learned my lesson the hard way. Good luck, Kevin from Las Vegas.