Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Florescent green fluid leaking from A/C compressor??????

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Florescent green fluid leaking from A/C compressor??????

Yup, its all around the bottom of my A/C compressor. I've had a squeaking coming from something for awhile so I took off my main serpentine belt to hopefully rule out the major components. I started it up for a few seconds and it still squeaked the same, so I know its the bottom belt or its pulley's.

But I saw all this green fluid, which looks exactly like the older type a engine coolant. And YES, I have the brownish colored Dexcool in my radiator

Also, my A/C needs a recharge every couple months, so I'm hoping I put
2-&-2 together here and I just need a new compressor because its squeaking.

I'm going to get a new lower belt tomorrow anyway though, I'll put it on and see if it goes away.

What do you all think?

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2005, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

the greenish fluid you are seeing, is the oil and refrigerant that is used by the AC. if it is leaking enough to where there is a visible amount of fluid, then it is a considerable leak for this type of fluid. You definetly need to either replace the compressor, or at the very least, drain ur ac system and replace the o-rings on the lines going in and out of the compressor. If it is squeaking then it may be that you just need a new compressor all together, but i would definetly replace the o-rings either way. Most auto parts store carry the orings.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:23 PM
TECH Regular

Clean away ALL fluid. Then make sure the A/C system is charged at least to the point that the compressor will cycle on. I would suggest doing it outside since your exhaust would make it impossible to hear anything inside. Crank the car and turn on the A/C. Go look around the A/C compressor. Sometimes you can hear the leak, a hiss. I've found them at the main line into the compressor on other GM products. I'd move the line to one side and the hiss would stop. Sometimes (with a bad enough leak), you'll see the fluid coming out. But that's the best way to pinpoint the exact location of the leak. Then have the system discharged, replace compressor, seals, or other offending components and recharge the system.

I see in your sig that you have a stroker motor so I'm guessing that compressor has been dismounted and laid to the side at least once. I've found that doing that can cause the main seals to leak. They're less than a couple of bucks and all you need to change them is a 15 mm socket (depending on what you're working on specifically). Hopefully, that's your problem. Good luck.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:17 PM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The green fluid is tracer dye, it's mixed in the the refrigerant and compressor oil to make it easier to find the source of the leak.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

and btw-

if your coolant is brown, it's time to change it.. now
Old 01-12-2005, 07:49 PM
TECH Junkie

same thing happened to me, like richie said, its die so you can see where the leak is coming from but if its on the compressor, thats not a good sign, you may need a new one.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Thanks guys, I think I'll just get a new compressor. It'll be 7 years old in 3 months and a full A/C charge only lasts a couple months.

The squeak won't go away anyway if I do change all the seals (o-rings), RIGHT?????

Plus, I get parts at almost cost from my Pontiac dealer.

Q

Quick Reply: Florescent green fluid leaking from A/C compressor??????