Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Hey I got A Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey I got A Problem

Hey My truck ran out of gas yesterday and I can't gat it started again. I put like two gallons in it and my wife and some dudes put in like four more gallons. It is a 99' 1500 Z71 chevy. after they put in all of that gas yesterday it still would not start. then they said the battery died and they gave my wife a jump but the engein still would not turn. so this morning I tried to start it but it still wont turn. I thank the batterys dead again and I might need to give it another jump.but how much gas do I need to put in it for it to run It is a 8 cylinder? also it is really cold here and snowing would that have anything to do with it? can A gas line freeze? any answers will be helpful.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

you burnt up the fuel pump tryingt to start it while it was empty.. replace fuel pump.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:32 PM
Teching In

damn you thank so? this sucks! oh well i guess i will have to buy a new one thanks. I did not know that my fuel pump could burn out so easily. But I guess when you put in like 8 gallons of gas and your gas gadge reads empty its the fuel pump. But if it is the fuel pump shudent the engin still try and turn. when I turn the key it just cranks once and then dies like the batteries dead?

Does anyone know where my fuel pump is located? in the tank or outside of the tank.

Last edited by priscilla ls1; 01-22-2005 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:48 PM
10 & 11 Second Club

Your fuel pump is in the tank, luckily a pickups tank will be alot easier to pull than your f-bodys tank.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Veteran

yea no ****, f-bodies blow in tht department... o well. love em neways
Old 01-24-2005, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Ok here is the update.
My wife and I know that that battery is dead so we went to this advaced auto parts store to see if they can charge it up for us, they tried and said that the battery is no good, so we had to get a new one. While we were doing that we told the guy at the store our problem and told us that condinsation in the lines might have frooze and told up to check the relay curcits under the hood (switch it with the horn one and see if it still works). so while we were still there at the store we bought this anti-freeze for the gas tank and some kind of spray starter fluid for the intake. so we got the battery took it home put it in the truck and tried to start it. It still would not turn but this time I could feel it getting closer then with the dead battery. Tried the relay, switched it nothing. sprayed the starter fluid nothing . all I know is when I turn the key to the on position I don't here the fuel pump kick in(you know that little buzzing noize). I don't here nothing. So I am almost sertine it is the pump I hope that is all and nothing more. I have enought problem. The pump Is going to cost like $300 and labor will be somewhere in between $100-$200 dollers. and I am broke tell friday.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:20 PM
10 Second Club

It could just be a frozen line. If it's frozens solid, the pump won't come on becasue the line acts like it's pressurized. Unplug the line close to the tank & see what happens.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:01 PM
Teching In

huuu how do i unplug the line? If I unplug the lines won't gas spill out everywhere? Do I need a tool?
Old 01-25-2005, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

You will get gas all over the place. Unplug it at the fuel filter and crank it see if she is pushing out fuel. You said yourself you can not here it kick on when the key is in the on position. You can get a fuel pump from the sponsors on here and modify it to fit the existing pump housing.