Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

HELP! Fuel Pump Dead?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP! Fuel Pump Dead?

I started my car to warm it up, and walked in the house to stay warm. Little did I know my car was almost out of gas, and when I came outside the car was off.

I put some gas in the car (about 5 gal) and then tried to start it again. The car was very hard to start, and wouldnt start until I pressed the throttle some... When it did start, it turned back off again as soon as I let off the gas. This continued untill I drove for about 15 miles, after that everything was ok.

I drove the car for two days, noticing that when I start my car, the engine doesnt turn over as hard as it normally does, it barely starts...

Tonight, I was driving around and the RPMS seemed to be a little higher than normal under coasting speed. When I was sitting still the rpms seemed higher and it just diddnt feel right so I turned the car off. I tried to start it again and it wouldnt start for the first couple of tries... I barely got it started enough to pull into my parking space...

Do you guys think I burned the fuel pump up? If I did burn the pump up, how much does this generally cost to replace and where should I buy a new pump/have it installed? I need to do this tomorrow, so quick responses would really help me out!!!

Thanks for reading all of this crap !!

-Brent
Old 01-27-2005, 08:12 AM
Coal Mining Director

From what you posted it's only a guess until someone tests the pump. It does sound like you ran the tank dry and hurt the pump...but that would not make the engine harder to turn with the starter. If you go to a dealer it's going to be $$$. If you have a good garage around you could buy a Walbro pump for $120 and they should charge around $120 to install. Good luck.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Where can I get a walbro pump? Do I have to buy that from the shop? Or can I get that online somewhere... The engine turns with the electrical part, but the actual starting of the engine is very wierd sounding, its just like it barely has enough fuel to fire up, it starts to fire very weak, but then once it turns on it seems a little better... asside from last night when it started running all wierd... The car doesnt feel as strong either.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:32 PM
Teching In

HEY it could be your battery? check under the hood on the driver side fuel rail there is a cap, unplug it and test the presure going to the line. if you have the presure tool that is?
Old 01-27-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont know how it could be my battery... by the way, my girlfriend is from woodbridge, and she drives a WS6 too, you guys should meet up!! we go to george mason
Old 01-27-2005, 09:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

oh wait, you must not be the girl in the photo... but either way, let me know if you go to a car show around here!!!

-Brent
Old 01-28-2005, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok guys I had a mechanic look at the car, he said my fuel pump was really dirty and gross, and that it was the original fuel pump that the car came with... that means it had 87,000 miles on it... He said that once he replaced that, everything works fine, and the fuel pressure is constant.

Do you guys think that this is a likely fix of the problem? Or should I watch out because it probably diddnt fix the problem...

Thanks for the help guys
Old 01-28-2005, 02:07 PM
Teching In

this might be the fix. when you turn the key in the ignition to the on postion do you here the fuel pump buzz on. did you ever check the presure! its like a $30 doller tool you buy at auto zone. to test the presure, or when you take your car to the shop ask them to do it before they change the fuel filter.
Me and my wife live in woodbridge. I think we have been to GM university is that where the patriot center is? I think we went there for a concert not to long ago. I don't go to any car shows, I did not know they existed out here! I barely see f-bodys. But yeah thats cool leave me A PM can tell me when the next one is me and my wife would love to see something like that around here.