Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a 7300 rpm rev limiter ok now that I have the T-Rex & Katech rod bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 08:06 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is a 7300 rpm rev limiter ok now that I have the T-Rex & Katech rod bolts?

I plan on shifting at 7k rpms and wanted to set the rev limiter at 7300 to give room for a little over shift. Just curious if I will be ok now that I have upgraded the rod bolts. As I've been told, the rods are the next weakest link after the bolts. I dont want to set the rev limiter too close and be hitting it all the time causing me loss of time.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can never be safe, anything can happen, a spring could break, bend a pushrod, valve, etc, who knows. But you are helping prevent things from going bad with the rod bolts, I shift at 7k rpm when I race, stock '99 rod bolts, stock lifters, stock rockers, stock timing chain, stock oil pump, etc 92k miles on the car. I have a new fuel pump, oil pump, timing chain, rod bolts, etc to install, just too lazy right now
Old 02-14-2005, 08:30 PM
9 Second Club NA

Well I would hope that the rest of the parts I installed will help prevent things from happening. I installed the Rollmaster heat treated double roller timing chain set with the Torrington bearing, Thunder Racing ported & blue printed oil pump, Patriot Gold dual spring kit rated for .650" lift, and I reused my 7.4 hardened chromoly pushrods. The lifters and rockers still remain stock.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long Roy,and you have burned so very very brightly". KAFACKINBOOM.

j/k
Old 02-14-2005, 08:49 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
I plan on shifting at 7k rpms and wanted to set the rev limiter at 7300 to give room for a little over shift. Just curious if I will be ok now that I have upgraded the rod bolts. As I've been told, the rods are the next weakest link after the bolts. I dont want to set the rev limiter too close and be hitting it all the time causing me loss of time.
Make sure you have a shift light in the car and set the Rev limiter to 7150....I shift my current combination at 7K (shift light set at 7000) and haven't bumped the limiter once with that exact set-up....an additional 300 RPM's is TOO much cushion. Approaching 7500 with stock rods and pistons (even with better bolts) is really pushing it. Stress on parts start moving up geometrically at those RPM's....moving the limiter to 7300 so you dont "bump" it on a shift seems silly and slightly counter-productive. If you were sleeping that bad on the shift you deserve to bump the limiter....it's a better alternative than missing a shift and possibly scattering the motor @ 7300.

Just my .02 ....At those RPM's piston speeds are extremely high and a couple of hundred extra could be the straw that broke the camels back.

Tony M.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:51 PM
9 Second Club NA

My car is an automatic, but I manually shift it. The tranny is set to shift around 6500, but the throttle valve cable is so touchy, that I have a hard time getting it just right for it to shift on time. Im running a 200-4R. So rather than fooling with the cable and having to drop the pan and governor to grind on the weight to reach higher shift points, I just manually shift it. Setting the shift points on it isnt an exact science either, its trial and error and youll be lucky if you get it dead on. I still have my Raptor shift light that I used when my car was a 6 speed and its set at 6500 I believe. I will set it at 6900 to give myself enough time to react and shift the car. With that in mind, it should put me at 7k where I want to be shifting at. The reason why I wanted more cushion is because I have run into the car not wanting to shift on time even when I shift it manually. As mentioned before, the throttle valvecable does have an effect on shift points because it controls line pressure. So I assume that it wasnt getting enough causing it to shift later. So rather than hitting the limiter and messing up an entire run, Id give myself more room. Im tempted to go with a full manual valve body or convert over to a TH350. I havent quite decided yet. I havent decided just yet what I will be doing, but I wanted to get others opinion on what they thought about on a 7300 rpm rev limiter on a completely stock bottom end with the exception of upgraded rod bolts. Thanks for your input.