Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

is a 9 inch necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 10:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default is a 9 inch necessary?

I know the 9 inch is indestructable but I'm not sure if it is right for my setup and end goal. I now have a headache from trying to read all the posts in my search so I'm just going to ask! I am only running 430rwhp n/a and the occasional TNT 150 but my plans are to go with FI and run somewhere around 700-800rwhp in the end. The car is an A4 and will have a TH400 by the time it gets to the 700 mark. It will see street/some strip duty. I will have 3.73's and drag radials as well. Not sure what setup would work best. I do want some good handling as well so I don't think a spool is an option. Like I said I'm looking to buy for my end result as well since I'm not rich and don't have any sponsors.
Thanks!
Old 02-15-2005, 12:03 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 9" is not indestructable. A 9" with a posi is a weak POS. A 9" with a soft locker or a spool is very strong.
Given you have an A4, I'd say get a Strange 12 bolt with a heavy duty posi. But given your high HP aspirations, a 9" with a Locker may be the way to go.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:06 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A 9" behind an A4 might be a bit on the overkill side...if it lived behind an M6 with a sticky clutch, it would then be necessary if it saw much track duty. I think a well built 12-bolt would fit your bill quite nicely, but it depends on what kinda options you are looking for. With a 12-bolt, you can have either a posi or a spool, but no locker. A 9" has many more options, but are heavier and have more parasitic loss.

If anything tends to break in these rears, it is the posi units. Even a 9" posi unit doesn't last too long, so don't go thinking that these things are completely bullet-proof. They aren't, but pretty much can be with the right parts. How much driveability on the street you want to give up is up to you.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:32 AM
10 Second Club

I pretty much decided on no posi cause of the breaking problems I heard about. Can you get a posi then when it breaks or just when you decide get a spool swap in without a whole new rearend? Stupid question but I have to ask! I'm also torn cause a Strange 12 bolt is just as much or close to a 9inch in price. If I will be ok with the 12 bolt for up to 800rwhp on an auto then I think that would be a better choice unless there is something I'm missing?
Old 02-16-2005, 09:40 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

If you are willing to go with the spool on the 12-bolt, I think it would suit you quite nicely, and fit with less issues than a 9". I would recommend looking at a Strange since they use 2 through bolts on their torque arm mount instead of the Moser's 4 short bolts into blind holes (the Moser 12-bolt is the only one that does this...the Moser 9" casting uses 2 through bolts - go figure).
Old 02-16-2005, 09:48 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 9" with a locker is a decent compromise in driveability bewteen a posi and a spool. It's very strong also.

The Strange 12 bolt with a spool will bolt up much easier than a 9", but the 9" may provide flexibility in that one could in theory have plug-n-play center sections- one with a spool or locker/ one with a posi. Few people have the time to be swapping out center sections, but it's doable.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
A 9" with a locker is a decent compromise in driveability bewteen a posi and a spool. It's very strong also.

The Strange 12 bolt with a spool will bolt up much easier than a 9", but the 9" may provide flexibility in that one could in theory have plug-n-play center sections- one with a spool or locker/ one with a posi. Few people have the time to be swapping out center sections, but it's doable.
Doesn't going with a locker cost you considerable Hp though? I know the 9 inch already does but the locker cost you more right?
Old 02-16-2005, 04:24 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I don't see how a locker could cost you HP, unless it was significantly heavier, which I don't think it is.