Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swaping out springs(CAMswap . Advice pls.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Swaping out springs(CAMswap . Advice pls.

Hello yall. i am doing a cam swap very soon. And now am gathering information and the tools that will be needed for the swap. I decided to use the air compressor method that i read on the jmx how to. What valve spring tool do yall recommend? I wish i had money for heads so wouldnt need to swap the springs. But on the bright side i will learn some very importan knowledge.
http://thunderracing.com/catalog/?ac...d=526&pcid=171
Crane valve spring tool.

Moore valve sping tool. http://thunderracing.com/catalog/?ac...id=89&pcid=171

Also will i need a valve sping height micrometer? Should i purchase the jpr cam swap tool also? http://thunderracing.com/catalog/?ac...d=108&pcid=171
I am gona be doing the swap myself with a buddy our 2. I really want to learn and gain that valuable knowledge. Any info and advice reagarding this matter will be very helpful thank you very much.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:04 PM
King of Pigskin Knowledge

To get the stock ones off, I just used a $15 tool from Autozone. However, if you are putting in dual springs, that tool won't work, it doesn't stay hooked tot he inside spring. So I recommend the Larry tool or something similar. Works nice and easy.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Crane tool by far is the easiest to use. Compresses two springs at once and it has good clearance to get the locks in/out.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Or you can go to a shop and get a piece of quarter inch steel cutout to do the same thing as those two above tools for about $10 bucks. Basically just get a rectangle cut out about 3.5"x2" and then get a U cut out at one end about 3/4" square and drill a hole about 1/2" from the U part and then just thread a bolt into the rocker pedastill and torque down the springs and remove the retainers. Save $100. As for the JPR tool from thunder just go to home depot and find some alum dowels that are about a 1/4" round and about 3feet long just bend to shape and stick in the holes in the front of the block to hold the lifters up, but hey you don't get those pretty pieces from jpr, you just save about $80.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh and god forbid using the autozone tool if you value your hands and want to keep them cut free.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

I am doing the same in a few weeks. I bought the Larry Tool for $40. Check the tool section.
I am sure you have this write up:
http://www.bowlingss.com/Mods/Instal...stallation.mht

Good Luck.
Bill
Old 02-15-2005, 07:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue02Ws6
Or you can go to a shop and get a piece of quarter inch steel cutout to do the same thing as those two above tools for about $10 bucks. Basically just get a rectangle cut out about 3.5"x2" and then get a U cut out at one end about 3/4" square and drill a hole about 1/2" from the U part and then just thread a bolt into the rocker pedastill and torque down the springs and remove the retainers. Save $100. As for the JPR tool from thunder just go to home depot and find some alum dowels that are about a 1/4" round and about 3feet long just bend to shape and stick in the holes in the front of the block to hold the lifters up, but hey you don't get those pretty pieces from jpr, you just save about $80.
I second that suggestion. Exactly what we did. Really cheap and easy. Spring swap was pretty painless for the most part. I would recommend buying a small ratchet that fits in the palm of your hand. You can crank away quickly and really helps with the rear springs as there is very little room to manuever in there.

If you don't get the rod use pen magnets. I would highly suggest them, even for just insurance. I have done 2 swaps myself and on one they weren't needed but on the last one 3 lifters were dropping. The only way we could tell was because we could see the magnets moving.

Its cheaper and less time consuming than having to remove the heads to put the lifter back in place .
Old 02-15-2005, 11:53 PM
12 Second Club

I will say it again, the Crane tool makes spring swaps simple. 10 minutes per pair until #8 then allow extra time.