Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9" Install pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 11:19 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Moser 9" Install pics

Just got a UMI Adj Panhard rod today (not shown), so we'll be centering the rear and massaging (beating) the tunnel now.

This Moser 9" install has been a real bitch. The axles came 1/4" too long from Moser and finding someone down here to cut them down and chamfer the ends was quite an endeavor. I found out at the last minute that this rear came with a 1310 Yoke (something I'm not very happy at all with, as my previous rear had a 1350 and the DS I have is 1350). The 1310 yoke looks puny. Finding the correct U-joint conversion was another task. A Presicion 348 did the job.

As stated above, we will need to massage the tunnel, as the top of the SLP TQ arm bracket does hit.

The sway bar brackets will be welded up today. I'm currently running a BMR Extreme sway bar with the custom welded chasis-mount tabs for the rod-end links. I'm going to focus on road racing now, so I'm going to go to a thinner sway bar. Much to my dismay, I found out that I'll need to retrofit the stock end link tabs, as the extreme sway bar is not plug-n-play with stock type end link sway bars.

Note to all: If you plan on doing 5K clutch dump launches with sticky tires, get yourself a locker or a spool. A 9" with a Posi is junk. I killed my first 9" with a posi after only a dozen hard launches.

Old 02-17-2005, 11:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did i miss something why did you get rid of your old rear?
Old 02-17-2005, 11:46 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kurtomac
did i miss something why did you get rid of your old rear?

I purchased the old one used, and it leaked out of every orifice (axle bearings, center section, yoke...). I had to refill it every month. It clunked, made sounds, the axles were pretty worn, the posi crapped out. I could have just kept the housing and gotten a new center section and axles, but I just wanted to start fresh and cut my losses, therefore I purchased a brand new one, which is only a few hundred bucks more than replacing all the parts I needed to replace for the old one.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:38 PM
TECH Junkie

cool pics, i will hopefully be looking into putting a 9" together in the near future. i may just buy the axle/housing package from moser and find a used centersection for the time being, until i can afford a new centersection. depends on how mich longer this stock rear lasts (10 bolts and nitrous kits don't get along, lol). good luck with the rest of the install!
Old 02-17-2005, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

what did you do with your old one? i need it!!!
Old 02-18-2005, 06:55 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by stroked 68
what did you do with your old one? i need it!!!
I'm gonna keep the center section. The housing will be sold for little money. I'll throw in the axles along with the housing. There's someone I need to speak with who contacted me a few weeks ago. If he's not interested any more, I'll post the housing up for sale in the sale section. I'm not ready to do this yet. It's gonna be a couple more weeks before I can get around to it.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

please put me next in line for it!!! pm me when it comes time!
Old 02-20-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
I'm gonna keep the center section. The housing will be sold for little money. I'll throw in the axles along with the housing. There's someone I need to speak with who contacted me a few weeks ago. If he's not interested any more, I'll post the housing up for sale in the sale section. I'm not ready to do this yet. It's gonna be a couple more weeks before I can get around to it.
I been on the eye out for a Moser 9" 4th gen F-body housing for my brohters car. Keep me in mind if you need to sell. Thanks.