Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tank Dimensions and bottle pressure?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tank Dimensions and bottle pressure?????

Did a search but turned up nothing? Can someone post a link to the dimensions of a 5, 10 and maybe even a 15 lbs. tank. Looking for overall length, esp with a bottle opener and gauge attached, and the diameter. Just looking at my trunk space. Also curious how high the tank rises when stood up on the mounts. I am talking about NX tanks and standard tank mounts. Also, in the same question, talking about bottle pressure. If the tank is full, at what point will the pressure drop to a point where using a wet kit is dangerous and should be refilled. How much nitrous is wasted? When they go to fill it, do they purge what is left before refilling? I am talking a tank at say 75 degrees and no bottle heater. What is the prime temperature for a bottle heater or are they adjustable depending on how much nitrous is left in the tank? Thanks. Just learning all I can .

Jim
Old 02-23-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Corpsvette
Did a search but turned up nothing? Can someone post a link to the dimensions of a 5, 10 and maybe even a 15 lbs. tank. Looking for overall length, esp with a bottle opener and gauge attached, and the diameter. Just looking at my trunk space. Also curious how high the tank rises when stood up on the mounts. I am talking about NX tanks and standard tank mounts. Also, in the same question, talking about bottle pressure. If the tank is full, at what point will the pressure drop to a point where using a wet kit is dangerous and should be refilled. How much nitrous is wasted? When they go to fill it, do they purge what is left before refilling? I am talking a tank at say 75 degrees and no bottle heater. What is the prime temperature for a bottle heater or are they adjustable depending on how much nitrous is left in the tank? Thanks. Just learning all I can .
Jim
Bigger is better. That said, a tank is a tank, so you can get a variety of dimensions and choose to fill the bottle to whatever level you like. It doesn't need standard mounts to be held into place, so you can do it pretty much how you like.
Pressure drop all depends on what pressure you start with, so the pressure that your wet system is tuned for becomes relevant.
If you tune your system lean on the fuel for low bottle pressure then you may not need a heater at all if you run a 20 lb tank.
Generally "kits" are tuned for between 900 and 1000 psi, and are very conservative. Bottle heaters are usually set for around 75*F like you said.
A 20 lb bottle would probably need two heaters to hold 1000 psi or higher, and that would kill your battery pretty quickly. They have a high amperage draw.
A 20 lb bottle can fit in the spare well with the **** and nozzle pointed forward, or it can sit transverse in the trunk area of an f-body with the **** forward and the nozzle pointed to the rear.
If you need to change your mounting from that, then you can take the bottle apart and change how the siphon tube is situated.

If it was me, I'd put a 20 lb bottle in the trunk well, jet the fuel lean, and run it at 800 psi all the time with no heater. A large bottle doesn't lose pressure during use like a small bottle will, so you will hold the same pressure for a long time, even after multiple uses.

ooops I see you have a vette.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

The dimensions of my 20 lb bottle is
8" diameter
26" tall

Homeslice has a 15 or 20 lb'er in his vette. Maybe he'll see this.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

I mounted mine to a board and wedge it sideways in the rear center well. I don't ride around with the bottle in the car everyday so it's a pretty ghetto setup. If you are permanently mounting it you'll have to do some drilling. I'll try to take some pics if you would like.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Thanks White2001 and the rest. I have a vert so I am trying to see how big I can go and still keep it hidden in the trunk storage compartment. It has the CD player in there right now but I plan on moving it to another compartment. Just trying to figure out if I can get a decent sized tank in there and still put the storage cover over it...you know, all stealthy and stuff. I rarely drive the car so I wouldn't be juicen very often. Of course you guys say it is addicting so I may be lying to myself. Also, I am starting to accumlate a lot of switches with this and othere little gadget things so I am thinking about a switch board that can be easily removed but will reside behind the passenger seat out of sight but easily accessible. I know most C5er's put it in the ash tray but I think with all my gadgets it will get very clutter, very fast. Anyhow, that is a different post. Thanks for all the help and advice.

jim K.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 'vert, you won't be able to tuck it in the spare tire
well unless it's (maybe) the old-style, long-and-skinny. The
10-lb modern ones are too fat to fit, and a 5-lb would
probably be a waste of effort unless you run a very small
shot.

I've been working on a setup that sets the bottle on the
lower floor of the trunk well, made a plywood mounting
plate to fit the floor-well and attach the brackets that
is nice and stable, with a false-floor above it to set stuff
on and hide it all. I got a roll of carpet that (pretty much)
matches the car from one of those car sound places online,
I forget the name but I found the source in the Appearance
section. The 10-lb fits with plenty of room to spare in the
trunk-well, with my solenoid-type opener and valve; I think
a 15 would, but maybe be tight and more of a problem if
you had the screw-motor-on-valve type opener.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Hey Jimmy, my vert is a C5 but I appreciate the info. I did own an 02' Pewter Z28 and I wished I still had it. Not that the C5 is a bad car, I have just owned Camaro's all my life. Could you measure your 10 lb for me? Thanks,

Jim K.

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
I have a 'vert, you won't be able to tuck it in the spare tire
well unless it's (maybe) the old-style, long-and-skinny. The
10-lb modern ones are too fat to fit, and a 5-lb would
probably be a waste of effort unless you run a very small
shot.

I've been working on a setup that sets the bottle on the
lower floor of the trunk well, made a plywood mounting
plate to fit the floor-well and attach the brackets that
is nice and stable, with a false-floor above it to set stuff
on and hide it all. I got a roll of carpet that (pretty much)
matches the car from one of those car sound places online,
I forget the name but I found the source in the Appearance
section. The 10-lb fits with plenty of room to spare in the
trunk-well, with my solenoid-type opener and valve; I think
a 15 would, but maybe be tight and more of a problem if
you had the screw-motor-on-valve type opener.