Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Painting rear of headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Painting rear of headlights

I know to some this may be a little extreme, but I'm thinking of painting the back part of th headlights on our 1999 SS. The "chrome" they use just does not look as good as I would like.

Anyone else done this(pics please) and should I just use black??

Show season is just around the corner.

Thanks

Chris
Old 03-01-2005, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

you mean doing the painted headlight mod? i painted the bezel on mine, but not inside the reflector where the bulb is, i wouldnt paint in there. it would really hurt the reflective properties of the lights, ie, make your lights not as bright. check my webpage for picks of mine painted before and after. i think it looks great, very good mod
Old 03-01-2005, 11:13 PM
TECH Resident

Chris, is this what you were talking about http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/224386/2
If, so first thing i did to mine camaro!
Old 03-04-2005, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Humm...Thats not what I mean. I mean the rear off the headlight(you can only see it when you pop the hood. Around where the bulbs go in at.

Chris
Old 03-04-2005, 05:37 PM
Launching!

i painted mine and i definitely recomend doing it. Sand down the chrome stuff and put a rag into the light bulb holes and use a primer before you lay the paint. I painted mine a gloss black and they look so much better.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NufNuffZ28
I know to some this may be a little extreme, but I'm thinking of painting the back part of th headlights on our 1999 SS. The "chrome" they use just does not look as good as I would like.

Anyone else done this(pics please) and should I just use black??

Show season is just around the corner.

Thanks

Chris
Hell, that mod has been around for years.. first done by XstaZ28 and shortly after by me (let him be the guinie pig)..

Take the time and sand down the casting marks and imperfections.. the finished product will come out that much better. Use corks from Home Depot to plug up all the holes so you don't get paint in the headlight..

p.s. I used a small elec hand sander to do most of the work.. tight areas with a dremel..
Old 03-05-2005, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice yall...that is what Im talking about!!! Gonna do it this weekend I believe. I'm going gloss black...

BTW...what other subtle mods have ya;l done to really set you apart at the shows..

Thanks yall

Chris

Originally Posted by Steve1969LS1
Hell, that mod has been around for years.. first done by XstaZ28 and shortly after by me (let him be the guinie pig)..

Take the time and sand down the casting marks and imperfections.. the finished product will come out that much better. Use corks from Home Depot to plug up all the holes so you don't get paint in the headlight..

p.s. I used a small elec hand sander to do most of the work.. tight areas with a dremel..

Quick Reply: Painting rear of headlights