Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Line lock questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 07:42 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Line lock questions

I have a line lock and am getting ready to install it but want to know what you guys think. I think the normal way to install it is to have it lock the front brakes, but a guy at a speed shop told me he prefered to have it lock out his rear brakes for burnouts so he has more control of his front brakes. In theory it sounds like a good idea to me. What do you all think?

On another note, how many of you use your line locks (front) when launching?

Thanks.

Old 03-04-2005, 07:47 PM
11 Second Club

Just do the fronts man. Otherwise you may as well drop the clutch and stand on the brakes. You can control the burnout with your right foot.

I dont use mine for launching.
I knew a promod drover once who used a line lock to hold the car when he was staged.

Brad
Old 03-04-2005, 07:52 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Squintz Palladoris
Just do the fronts man. Otherwise you may as well drop the clutch and stand on the brakes. You can control the burnout with your right foot.

I dont use mine for launching.
I knew a promod drover once who used a line lock to hold the car when he was staged.

Brad
I forgot to mention I'm an A4.

Do the line locks have a fast enough release to get a good RT if using them to launch? I heard they might not release fast enough.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:56 PM
11 Second Club

DOH!

I would still use it just on the front. It will save your rear brakes and will take less power to do a burnout.

Not too sure on how quik they releas. Mine seems pretty much instantaneous.

Brad
Old 03-04-2005, 11:49 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Squintz Palladoris
I would still use it just on the front. It will save your rear brakes and will take less power to do a burnout.
It would be locking out the rear brakes so they would be disabled, then you have pedal control over your fronts. No rear brakes to fight anymore.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:31 AM
Restricted User

Your both saying the same thing. The line lock taps into the front brake line, press brake firmly, press lock button, release brake, hit gas (no more than 60sec unless your John Force) and release lock, roll out. In that case, front brakes lock from the pressure held against the solenoid, and the backs have no pressure on them.

I tried using mine for staging, didnt like the inconsistency of the release. And it was too easy to overpower rear tires, blew them off at the line a couple times.

Good luck.

Charlie
Old 03-05-2005, 02:43 AM
Teching In

You cannot lock out your brakes with a line lock. Just put it on the front. A linelock is only designed to hold pressure back. If you turn on the line lock and pump the brakes it acts as a one way check valve, it WILL alow the brakes to appply and will hold them on.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:54 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by blue66
You cannot lock out your brakes with a line lock. Just put it on the front. A linelock is only designed to hold pressure back. If you turn on the line lock and pump the brakes it acts as a one way check valve, it WILL alow the brakes to appply and will hold them on.

So your saying you turn the lock on, THEN pump your brakes and it holds? Thats wierd, I only used them recently and the instructions say to press and hold brake firmly,THEN activate the lock solenoid. I figure since it is a solenoid, it will not act like a one way check valve, rather if it is on (the internal piston is closed) it wont let fluid beyond the solenoid, therefore not letting the brake engage. Might have to check this out when I get home.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:37 AM
11 Second Club

I am pretty sure its a Solenoid without a check valve.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:38 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CAT3
Your both saying the same thing. The line lock taps into the front brake line, press brake firmly, press lock button, release brake, hit gas (no more than 60sec unless your John Force) and release lock, roll out. In that case, front brakes lock from the pressure held against the solenoid, and the backs have no pressure on them.

I tried using mine for staging, didnt like the inconsistency of the release. And it was too easy to overpower rear tires, blew them off at the line a couple times.

Good luck.

Charlie
You are correct Charlie

Brad
Old 03-05-2005, 12:02 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Were aren't saying the same thing. This guy told me he uses his to lock out his back brakes. Instead of the line lock being installed on the lines going to the front brakes, he has it installed on the lines going to the rear brakes. He engages the line lock while in Park so no fluid will go to his rear brakes, thus disabling his rear brakes. Then he has brake pedal control over his fronts only and can control his burnout better.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:34 PM
Teching In

I understand this but I am saying on all the line locks I have installed, they will allow brake apply while turned on. You can apply the line lock then pump the brakes. I believe there is a inlet and outlet side to the solenoid, maybe if you reversed this, you could accomplish what you are after. Someone else on here should go try theirs. I know how mine operates and all the others I have installed. I am not saying it isn't possible. Just don't want you to go through the work of the install, and find out your rear brakes are applying, and staying applied throughout the burnout!!
Old 03-05-2005, 01:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Linelock for the rear on burnouts for me.

Not for staging. There's too much other **** I'm dealing with watching the tree.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Magic Chicken
Were aren't saying the same thing. This guy told me he uses his to lock out his back brakes. Instead of the line lock being installed on the lines going to the front brakes, he has it installed on the lines going to the rear brakes. He engages the line lock while in Park so no fluid will go to his rear brakes, thus disabling his rear brakes. Then he has brake pedal control over his fronts only and can control his burnout better.
Now I understand what you mean!
When I do a burnout the car stays put untill I release the line lock and roll out.

Brad
Old 03-05-2005, 06:56 PM
Motorboater

i can't see why you would want to have pedal control of yoru front brakes in a burnout. that should be handled by knowing how to properly place your slicks on the edge of the box for the burnout, no reason you should want to be able to creep forward or anything. nor would i want to. what if your foot slips off the pedal or something stupid like that, you're gonna go for a little unexpected ride forward with potentially shitty results if your streering wheel isn't straight(i.e--run over the guy in charge of the bunout box)
Old 03-05-2005, 08:06 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
i can't see why you would want to have pedal control of yoru front brakes in a burnout. that should be handled by knowing how to properly place your slicks on the edge of the box for the burnout, no reason you should want to be able to creep forward or anything. nor would i want to. what if your foot slips off the pedal or something stupid like that, you're gonna go for a little unexpected ride forward with potentially shitty results if your streering wheel isn't straight(i.e--run over the guy in charge of the bunout box)
From the sounds of it, you've had a line lock from the very first time you went to the race track? I and thousands of others go to burnout boxes everyday without line locks and haven't killed a waterboy yet.

I didn't start this thread for stupid comments or flames, just insight on how you guys have your line locks installed. Apparently no one else has done the "rear brake lock out" method.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Magic Chicken
From the sounds of it, you've had a line lock from the very first time you went to the race track? I and thousands of others go to burnout boxes everyday without line locks and haven't killed a waterboy yet.

I didn't start this thread for stupid comments or flames, just insight on how you guys have your line locks installed. Apparently no one else has done the "rear brake lock out" method.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:16 PM
Motorboater

LOL. relax tough guy.

that wasn't a shot at anyone, i was answering your question..if that's all it takes to get you riled up then don't post in here, wait till someone really actually tries to aggrivate you on purpose or something. if you thought that was a "stupid comment" or flame then man you don't get out much.

i have only had a line lock for 2 years, i have been racing a 6 speed for over 5, same car whole time. i am more than adept at doing brake tq style burnouts on both radials and slicks in a M6 without a linelock, but sure is nice having it

its cool though, i mean what do i know about drag racing right?wow.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:21 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
LOL. relax tough guy.

that wasn't a shot at anyone, i was answering your question..if that's all it takes to get you riled up then don't post in here, wait till someone really actually tries to aggrivate you on purpose or something. if you thought that was a "stupid comment" or flame then man you don't get out much.

i have only had a line lock for 2 years, i have been racing a 6 speed for over 5, same car whole time. i am more than adept at doing brake tq style burnouts on both radials and slicks in a M6 without a linelock, but sure is nice having it

its cool though, i mean what do i know about drag racing right?wow.
I guess I need to take a nap or Prozac.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:23 PM
Motorboater

i hear valium works

don't sweat the small stuff