Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you knew then what you know now...?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you knew then what you know now...?!?

First off let me start by saying that I am a relatively new member and this is my second post. I have surfed around on this site for about a month now and I would like to say thanks to everyone out there who takes so much time to post to these forums for people like me who love cars, but don't necessarily have the technical know how. Some of the work done by the members out there on thier cars is absolutely amazing.

Anyway, I have owned my f-body now for 5 years, but unfortunatley while in college, I did not have extra money to put into upgrading the car. I was just the proud owner of a gorgeous Black WS6 TransAm, that even at stock managed to turn heads wherever I went (not that you all don't already know this). The only upgrades I managed to do was putting in a K&N filter and a Borla exhaust system (I had to have the sound). Since I graduated a year ago, I have now paid off the car and have a job making good money. So needless to say I am foaming at the mouth to get to work on my baby, especially after seeing all the wonderful work done by members on here.

Without diving right into the internal engine components, below are the mods that I have considered to start off.

1.) Airbox Lid (MTI, SLP, Whisper, G2, etc..)
2.) MAF (75mm or 85mm??)
3.) Throttle Body (80mm or 90mm??)
4.) LS6 intake
5.) Hypertech Programmer or LS1 Edit (which is better)

My question for all of you experienced modders out there is this:
Pretend that your car is all stock components again (I know, sad thought), if you knew then what you know now about your current mods, or those that you have had in the past, which ones would you start with? Which had the biggest impact?

I have been reading through these forums tonight for about 4 hours, and there is a lot of great info out there. And I notice that different people like different companies for the same parts, but I would like to know what mods seem to make the biggest impact from the beginning. For someone like me who is just now starting to make changes, it can be quite overwhelming to get started.

Hopefully with the advice and opinions of you guys, and girls, I will be able to soon get started making changes and help to contribute ideas, thoughts, and changes I have made to this forum.

In the meantime, thanks in advance for everyones help and I hope everyone continues to keep up the good work.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

subframe connectors would have been my first mod.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Default subfram connectors

Originally Posted by denton needham
subframe connectors would have been my first mod.
Really, I have thought of those along with a strut tower brace, but I was thinking later. did you notice that big of a difference in the handling?
Old 03-11-2005, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

big difference in handling with the SFCs not so much the STB. You probably don't need a new MAF either. Scratch out the Hypertech programmer and just get a DynoTune after you install the LS6 intake or you could also invest in a set of headers. Most people here have had good results with the SLP lids. Welcome to LS1tech.com and happy modding.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Subframe connectors may not be as exciting as say, an extra 20 hp, but they just make these cars feel better and that makes future mods even more enjoyable.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I knew then what I know now, I would not have bought SLP LTs first, I would have gone straight to the Kooks I have now.

I would start off with the GMMG catback...the sound alone makes it my second favorite mod next to heads/cam.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

Subframes will make the car feel Totally different and tight. along with relocated lower control arms and a rear sway bar. these cars really flex and sway at speed. I think getting the car safe to handle future power is the way to go. I went with square bmr weld ins. I went a little power first and ended up in a guard rail due to sway. just my $.02.

Last edited by denton needham; 03-11-2005 at 11:07 PM. Reason: wrong spelling
Old 03-11-2005, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

After sfc's You need to decide how deep you want to go. It gets addictive. I would add a little to the engine then back to the handling/ brakes then to the engine then to the rear end ect.. try to keep it balanced and bullet proof. An ls6 manifold and ported TB along with headers and a tune will do alot. After that... $$$. I see you are in Indy. I live In New Albany. Welcome to the addiction.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

An ls6 intake and headers should be near the top of your list. Future weak links in the car are pushrods and valvesprings, brakes and clutch( if an m6). i made 343 thru cats on a stock 50,000 mile engine with a predator, headers, 160 degree thermostat, lid, 85 mm maf, (which I am not sure you really need now) and decent plug wires.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check out some of the stickies that JRP has made.

Newbie Mod Mistakes is a good one - 9 pages worth of "wish I didn't do"
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ewbie+mistakes

Buy any air lid you want, they all do the same thing. So I'd buy the cheapest one I could find.

I wouldn't bother with MAF right now.

As for a TB, if you're not getting a 90mm FAST/LS2 intake you can't have a 90mm TB. The BBK 80mm is generally considered garbage. Just go with a ported stock casting. There are way too many problems with aftermarket TBs for these cars.

LS6 intake IS a great mod. If you plan on doing a bunch of stuff later on, see if you could pick up a FAST 78mm intake cheap.

Don't bother with HTPP, or LS1 edit. Have someone else tune it, or buy HP Tuners, and learn how to do it yourself once you have good understanding of how an engine operates.

Old 03-11-2005, 11:10 PM
TECH Resident

SFC's and STB are a must, RIGHT NOW! It's already been 7 years, so it might be a real pain to the SFC's to bolt/weld up straight, but it is definitely a mod worth doing immediately.

Are you an A4 or M6? Knowing what I know now, a torque converter would have been my first mod.

Let me break it down in order of importance IMO:

1) Stall converter over 3200 if you're an A4
2) Lid
3) LT Headers
4) True Duals (I wish I wouldn't have wasted any money on the Loudmouth then the Hooker Catbacks)
5) Ported TB and LS6 intake
6) Gears if you're an M6, or an A4 with 2.73's
7) After all that, tune it or buy HP Tuners (from what I hear, far and above LS1Edit)

I can't even begin to tell you how much money I could have saved doing things this way. By far, the biggest money pit is exhaust work when considering bolt-ons. Do it right the first time. Don't fool with coated or mild steel headers if you plan on keeping your car for a long time. Be sure to buy a stainless steel cat-back or true duals. You don't want to have to worry about that **** later.

MAF is a waste. Stick with the stock. It has been proven to support 500hp. The LS6 intake isn't even a must right away. You could hold off on that until you go internal (heads/cam). TB is a relatively cheap bolt-on that will improve throttle response immediately, but won't shine until the heads/cam go in.

Good Luck, I promise you won't be dissapointed if you follow my list.

Remeber, SFC's and STB are the two most important things you can do right now if you plan on keeping your car for awhile. I don't even consider them mods since they should have come with them from the factory.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by denton needham
Welcome to the addiction.
speak the truth!

This is site has helped me out dramatically, I have saved so much money since I've been on this site. I would go with SFC, lid, full exhaust, most all the bolt on's.....
Old 03-11-2005, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

Default Thanks a bunch

Wow...you guys are fast!!! I thought I would check this post one last time before hitting the sack. I didn't really expect much feedback yet, but I guess I should have expected it from all of the enthusiasts out there. Thanks to everyone for all of your insight so far. I will start putting my "buy" list together in the morning. So far it seems as if the SFC's are top of the list. Thanks to all for helping the newbie. Keep the posts coming.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hypertech doesnt even compare to LS1Edit or any tuner. Dont waste money on the Hypertech.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:16 AM
TECH Addict

If I knew then what I know now, I would have: gotten SFC's first, stainless longtubes (kooks or QTP), still gotten the lid, throttle body, pulley, and intake, and researched a little more on exhaust (I'm on my second system). I would still have my shift light, clutch and shifter though. I would also have gotten the same cam, even though sometimes I wish I would have gone a little bigger. It makes great power though throughout the powerband, so I'm happy. I wouldn't have wasted some nice cash on: wires, re-useable air filter, MAF ends (or whole MAF), or FTRA.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Here's my $0.02. My 97 LT1 was the guinnea pig for me to make mistakes on. I seem to have the plan down now with my 02 LS1

1. Lid and filter
2. Pro-5.0 or similiar shifter/ CAGS if a M6.
3. LT Headers (I used Dynatech Supermaxx, but QTP or Kook stainless also excellent.)
4. Gears (3.73 good for an auto; 4.10 excellent for an M6)
5. BRAKES. No good to go fast and not stop I went with Eradispeed rotors, Hawk pads, and Earls stainless lines.
6. If you live in a hot climate, a 160 T-stat and programming to turn the fans on/ off.
7. Subframes (especially if a T-top.) I personally have a hardtop, so I'm really not that worried about it.
8. LS6 intake
9. Clutch (if M6) or torque converter.
10. Go internal. Heads and cam

My car is a M6 hardtop, so my mods are reflective of more structural rigitity, thus subframes are far down on my list. They'd be right near the top for a T-top car or a convertible. I also didn't mention exhaust since so said you have a Borla installed.

Hope this helps. Happy modding.

Schantin
2002 Camaro Z28 M6
Old 03-12-2005, 11:51 AM

I would have just bought a turbo at the start. Add up the $ and it would have been better to just have a turbo put on the car.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Build the rear, buy a stroker motor, buy the rest of the crap that it needs (lots) and save some money and not even bother with heads/cam etc.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

build your suspension, get the best quality you can afford, and do all the bolt ons. ditch the borla and get GMMG for sure unless you're sticking with cats. and stay away from SLP unless you're buying their subframes.

if i knew then what i know now...i'd have stayed away from this site and saved a TON of money and kept my gas mileage!!!!!!! j/k....i enjoy my obsession and addiction
Old 03-12-2005, 11:06 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not have bought an LS1 because instead of paying off my debt I buy more expensive **** just for a tenth of a second

It's like I'm on crack NEED MORE SPEED.