Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slicks screwed to rim, leak.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slicks screwed to rim, leak.

I've got a set of slicks that are screwed to my rims and have been for awhile. One side holds air while the other leaks 20psi over about 4 days while sitting in my garage. Is this safe? Should I have them re-done? I've done a search and saw where some use fix-a-flat. I'm not real big on using fix-a-flat, so... Any input is appreciated. I don't have crazy quick short times, but I do want to be as safe as possible.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you put a dab of silicone on each srew before you set them in the rim?
Old 03-12-2005, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

try running tubes. I only have to air up my tires couple times a year, its nice. Without tubes i with filling them every track outing.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:27 PM
12 Second Club

squirt some liquid dish detergent into the inside of the tire, rub all around, then mount on wheel. if it is leaking through the tire, it won't any more. i ran a 69 camaro through 1993, 8.80 @152 and did this trick every time i changed slicks.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:24 AM
Staging Lane

The three replies above hit the highlights on how to keep air in your slicks when screwed to the wheels.

-- dish washing detergent smeared on the inside of the tire, especially on the sidewalls before mounting helps seal the pores and reduce air loss
-- putting silicone or rubber cement on each screw befor screwing it into the pre-drilled hole in the wheel and tire bead helps reduce air loss there
-- running tubes is the recommended way to prevent air loss with slicks and is also the safest. The cost $50 each and add about 5lbs in weight each, but it is the safest setup and always recommended by the tire makers.

I would not use fix-a-flat since it could pool and throw the tire balance off. It works off centrifugal force so the sideways -- where you need the sealing -- will not get much on them. Some also leave explosive gas in the tire so if the guy changing the tire makes a spark or has a cig, it could blow up.

I think it will be really difficult to unscrew, dismount, and remount a tire using the same holes in the bead. If you can do it yourself, or have a tire changing guy who will go the extra mile for you, then it is possible.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:32 AM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

Originally Posted by More power!
The three replies above hit the highlights on how to keep air in your slicks when screwed to the wheels.

-- dish washing detergent - putting silicone or rubber cement on each screw -- running tubes
We run rim screws on our Firebird and do not use any of these three techniques and our slicks (Goodyear 1239s) do not leak.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

OK...33" Goodyear slicks don't need tubes and don't leak air through the sidewalls. Check!

Just slap a pair of them on your 16"x7.5" OEM wheels and you will be good to go.

bickelfirebird knows a lot more about racing setup than I do (he has gone much faster and appears to do it for a living), but simply stating that the shadetree mechanic and anti-lawsuit fixes suggested so far aren't necessary on his cutting edge 7-second setup doesn't help out TNorman much.

Details about tires, installation, wheels, etc. would help us all out.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always too aggreviated with the tires leaking(yes ,I did all the 'tricks'.)
I run tubes in all my tires now for about 2 years now, it's the best thing I
have ever done.
I NEVER have to check the tires.
I am about THEE most weight conscience you will meet, so for me to add
the extra weight speakes volumns.
PS- they will leak more the lower you run them/if it's cold out.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:17 PM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TNorman,

You will be fine with the slicks the way they are as long as you don't let them go flat while on the car(don't let the car set on the garage floor with the tires flat). If you leave them on the car(as I do) just jack the back end up when you put her in the garage and you will be good to go.

Now to fix the problem you need to do this; Unmount your slicks, squirt some liquid dish detergent into the inside of the tire(side wall only), rub all around, then remount/add wheel screws and rebalance each wheel.

This is what I do to both sets of slicks that I have. They may loose 2 to 3 pounds every couple of weeks but come on, these things are ment to be checked and recheck all the time. Hello, they are race slicks.

Coach
Old 03-14-2005, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all the responses everyone.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:30 AM
TECH Regular

what brand of slick are you using? i ran hoosiers and never had them leak. the day i started running m/t's, they leak like crazy...screwed or not screwed. Even my m/t et fronts leaked (no screws lol) and when i went to ds2's they dont leak a bit.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slow3hoe2
what brand of slick are you using? i ran hoosiers and never had them leak. the day i started running m/t's, they leak like crazy...screwed or not screwed. Even my m/t et fronts leaked (no screws lol) and when i went to ds2's they dont leak a bit.
Hoosiers. I don't think it's the tires. It's how they were mounted.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:20 AM
Sweet Cheeks

Originally Posted by Coach 02 A3 Z/28
TNorman,

You will be fine with the slicks the way they are as long as you don't let them go flat while on the car(don't let the car set on the garage floor with the tires flat). If you leave them on the car(as I do) just jack the back end up when you put her in the garage and you will be good to go.

Now to fix the problem you need to do this; Unmount your slicks, squirt some liquid dish detergent into the inside of the tire(side wall only), rub all around, then remount/add wheel screws and rebalance each wheel.

This is what I do to both sets of slicks that I have. They may loose 2 to 3 pounds every couple of weeks but come on, these things are ment to be checked and recheck all the time. Hello, they are race slicks.

Coach
What if you do leave the deflated tires on the ground. What does that cause and is it fixable? Thanks/
Old 03-17-2005, 10:37 AM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

Originally Posted by Dear John
What if you do leave the deflated tires on the ground. What does that cause and is it fixable? Thanks/
Could damage the tire and rim, or worse if it goes flat in a trailer underway.