Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking to get cam

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default looking to get cam

hey guys i am lookiong to cam my car but dont know what to go with i want somthing that sounds choppy and i want it to put out some power i have a set of ls6 springs but im not sure if i need some other type of springs and also i dont have a stall converter and i dont how big i can go with out one anybody let me know thanx
Old 03-30-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're planning on using LS6 springs, get a GM Hot Cam... that's about the only one you'll be able to get while having good spring life with those springs, and still have a nice choppy idle.

If you want to change springs too, there's a whole world of cams out there... it all will depend on what you want to do with your car. Also, you'll want to make sure you have all the bolt-ons (headers, induction mods, etc), plus a good tune, otherwise the cam is a waste of time.

Also, get the converter before the cam... it'll wake your car up far more than anything else since you have an auto.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

Default cam

well right know i got 3.73 gears slp air box guted cats flowmaster and cut out and hypertech tuning so next i should get a stall u think then cam and also the ls6 springs are pretty much not good for a high lift cam what springs do u recomend
Old 03-30-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Veteran

I'd get a stall first, definitely... something in the 3200-3600 range would probably be best, but it all depends on what you want your car to do.

Then, get some longtube headers... that's crucial before getting a cam. After that, make sure you have some proper tuning for your mods. Get rid of the hypertech...

Next, I'd start in on your suspension/traction... get yourself some LCAs, SFCs, a new torque arm, etc. Adding more power is useless if you can't get it to the ground and stick to the pavement while doing so.

After that... then look at a cam. with something up to about the .590 lift range, Comp 918s are good springs to use. If you go above that, I'd go with some PRC duals or Patriot Gold duals.

Lots of stuff for you to read up on concerning how to build a proper setup... just do some searches here. Also, remember one key tip... build the platform before adding power. Meaning work on suspension, traction, converter, then your bolt-ons, then cam, heads, nitrous, etc.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Default cam

ok kool sounds good know what can i use to tune it better is there somthing like the hypertech i can use?
Old 03-30-2005, 04:49 PM
TECH Veteran

HP Tuners is the way to go, but you need a laptop for that... if you don't want to get into that and prefer the handheld option, take a look at Vinci's Programmer (Vinci High Performance, who is a sponsor here), or the Predator. If you go with the Predator, make sure you get it from runninwiththedevil.com, since James (the contact guy there) does custom tuning for free.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'll have to say setup the suspension, and get a stall first. Like stated above. New LS1 Owners & Enthusiasts Check that out aswell. Great info to get you started right, the first time.

Before you start going wild, decide what you would like to do with the car, is it a daily driver? Is it a nice weather toy? Or do you want it to be a drag queen, or somewhere in between? Figuring out what you want to live with, drivability wise is a big deal aswell when choosing a cam. Different strokes for different folks.

Make a plan on what you want to do.
Such as (for you I would suggest)
Suspension, SFCs and LCAs, (more if $ allows)
Tranny- stall
rearend -gears
Exhaust - LTs and something other than the flowmaster (unless you can't live w/o that blowmaster sound.... (its choking your car - do a search)
Then worry about the cam and tuning

Also before jrp gets here I want to say SEARCH! It will be your best friend here. You will learn alot of what people have, what it does, how it works for them and their setup and so forth.