PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car died at a stop from tuning???

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car died at a stop from tuning???

I just had my computer changed back to stock for the tranny b/c I think that the previous tune killed it (TWICE!!!). The only thing that was changed other than that was the SES light removed for the AIR pump (which I'm going to block off soon). After I got it retuned (or untuned), I drove back about 30 miles and the car drove fine the whole way. I had a couple strange lock-unlock instances when accelerating really slowly b/ 30-40 mph but it was fine after it got above 40 (it was locking at about 30 and then unlocking again about 37mph-this is only when accelerating really slowly behind someone else). So I got the whole way home and no real issues.

The next day (today) I drove to work, fine. Then I drove home and it stalled at the 3rd stop sign I stopped at. I didn't notice anything weird, the engine just shut off and restarted just fine. I drove the rest of the way home without incident.

I really don't like my car dying on me at stop signs. I'm just wondering if this was just b/c the PCM just got changed or if something else is wrong. It didn't ever do this before, but it had a rough idle (which I think was from bad gas and it went away). It doesn't seem to have a rough idle now but there is more play in the rpms at a stop than there was immediately following the de-tune but it's only maybe 200 at MOST. I tried searching, but didn't see anything.

Opinions????
Old 04-01-2005, 09:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine did this after the converter swap, I had to bump the
idle RPM and airflow for it. Stock tune presumes a lot of
rotating ballast, or just gets by on account of it. It will try
some relearn but you can do better, check out the new idle
trim params and see about getting your idle short and long
term trims trued up. There's more available now than just
the old way of RPM and airflow.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't matter now b/c the tranny died today and I'm going to sell the car. thanks for the reply though. I just need to get it running long enough to sell.