Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped out Header bolt hole in Head..what size Helicoil

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stripped out Header bolt hole in Head..what size Helicoil

Well I have a stripped out header bolt hole on the passenger side head. It is easy to get to and I wanted to put a Helicoil in the head. Does anybody know what size the Header bolts are (thread/pitch etc..) I am sure I can buy a Helicoil kit for whatever size it is. I wanna say it is like an 8mm but am not sure. Thanks
Old 04-02-2005, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ
Well I have a stripped out header bolt hole on the passenger side head. It is easy to get to and I wanted to put a Helicoil in the head. Does anybody know what size the Header bolts are (thread/pitch etc..) I am sure I can buy a Helicoil kit for whatever size it is. I wanna say it is like an 8mm but am not sure. Thanks
Depends which hole you're talking about. It'll either be M10x1.5, M8x1.25, or M12x1.5. I have the right pages of the manual in PDF format. Send me an IM (aol=leaftye) or your email addy and I'll send it to you.

Eugene
Old 04-02-2005, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by leaftye
Depends which hole you're talking about. It'll either be M10x1.5, M8x1.25, or M12x1.5. I have the right pages of the manual in PDF format. Send me an IM (aol=leaftye) or your email addy and I'll send it to you.

Eugene

Hey Eugene,
It is the forward manifold flange bolt hole that goes into the head, and it looks like there is one more..the middle bolt hole that holds the dipstick tube in place. My email address is sheridan68@comcast.net.
Thanks
Kevin
Old 04-02-2005, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

Kevin,
I just emailed you the pages out of the manual. It's over 8 megs, so hopefully it gets thru your email server. FWIW, I'm on comcast too.

Eugene
Old 05-03-2005, 12:45 AM
Staging Lane

I cross-threaded the front driver-side bolt hole when I was installing the headers today. I definitely can't accept an 8 meg e-mail, could someone just hook me up with the thread designation of the hole?

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:14 AM
TECH Regular

Take a bolt with you to the parts store.

Perry
Old 05-03-2005, 06:28 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It is an 8mm x 1.25. My best advice to you is don't even attempt to drill and tap it in the car. Pull the head and do it right or else you'll be kicking yourself later. Trust me, I know this first hand from experience.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:03 AM
LS1 Tech Veteran

I bought some used heads which I ported. They had three broken header bolts (8 X 1.25 mm) which I had to drill out progressively. At least you don't have to remove bolts. In order to insert the HeliCoil, you'll have to drill and tap it to the proper size and getting the axis of the drill bit perpendicular to the plane of the exhaust port side of the head is difficult with the head removed and nearly impossible with the head installed. I agree that the head should be removed. Also, besides keeping the bit axis perpendicular (use a series of larger bits to stay inside the original bolt bore and you should be OK) be sure not to drill too deep. Just use a small drill bit as a depth gage and check one of the other holes as you go along.

Also, I called the HeliCoil Tech Support folks and they said that I should not use thread locking compound (Locktite) on an exhaust manifold bolt. The guy said that by just screwing the HeliCoil in the threaded hole, the HeliCoil can expand and contract as necessary and it would be much stronger overall.

All my best,

Steve

Quick Reply: Stripped out Header bolt hole in Head..what size Helicoil