Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Performance & racing question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 03:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Performance & racing question

Im relatively new & have a 2002 z28 with only a lid & cat-back. The car is under warranty and I cannot make many changes. One thing I can do is get the engine reprogrammed. Can someone please tell me what that is and what kind of performance/hp improvement I can expect?

Also, as far as street racing goes, where would an A4 want to start a race from?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dsz28
Also, as far as street racing goes, where would an A4 want to start a race from?

Get some DR's and go from a dig, racing from a roll is for ricers.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

Im relatively new & have a 2002 z28 with only a lid & cat-back. The car is under warranty and I cannot make many changes. One thing I can do is get the engine reprogrammed. Can someone please tell me what that is and what kind of performance/hp improvement I can expect?

Your talking about a tune, one of our many sponsors can do it for you. I would personally wait on the tune until you are out of warranty and plan on doing more mods. With your car I would run from a dig at all times, if its from a roll 25 works well
Old 04-02-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by black_z
Your talking about a tune, one of our many sponsors can do it for you. I would personally wait on the tune until you are out of warranty and plan on doing more mods. With your car I would run from a dig at all times, if its from a roll 25 works well
20mph roll does nicely. it downshifts and goes.
also, 60mph roll OWNS =)

i highly suggest getting a torque converter + trans cooler + tranny temp gauge

then - *any* roll. no deadspots at all. from a dig itll be awesome as well =)
Old 04-02-2005, 10:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't waste your time or $$$ on a ANY programming device other than LS1EDIT or HPTUNERS. After that warranty is out of the way definately get a converter and trans-cooler in there ASAP, I suggest a TCI SSF3500, or something along those lines, along with some longtube headers, it'll really wake that thing up. As far as racing goes either deadstop or like some others have said, 20-25 roll, and 60-65 roll, are great for Autos with the 3.23s. Good luck!!!!
Old 04-02-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

haha if ur aimin to do even the slightest mods...throw that warranty out....sorry man thats just the way it goes....and as far as racin i think the fellas said it perfectly
Old 04-03-2005, 08:00 AM
Launching!

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SStheBest
haha if ur aimin to do even the slightest mods...throw that warranty out....sorry man thats just the way it goes....:
I have spoken to my dealer and salesman about mods-n-warranty issues. Each of them have been approved (with conditions). Obviously, they will not warranty anything that's been modified... but, if my clutch goes, or a.c., or powersteering, etc... it's all under warranty. They gave me a list of shops that they would approve a supercharger/turbocharger installation from, that would not void my warranty. They did tell that N2O would void it, however.

There are plenty of bolt-ons you can do without voiding your warranty. Just give the dealership a call first. Good Luck.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:26 AM
Launching!

I already have a lid & cat-back. Please tell me what bolt-ons might be possible...
Old 04-03-2005, 10:59 PM
10 Second Club

I already have a lid & cat-back. Please tell me what bolt-ons might be possible...
Headers, underdrive pulley, ported TB, and the free mods.